10 Questions with ... SuavA
April 10, 2012
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- WZND (Z106 JAMZ)/Illinois State University
- WZPW (POWER 92)/Peoria, IL
- WCZQ (HOT 105.5)/Champaign (2007-Present)
1. What got you into radio?
Growing up, I was always making music and sending my music to radio stations. I would rush home and record the radio stations in St. Louis to see if they would play my songs. I started to familiarize myself with radio and the on-air personalities. Shortly before my freshman year at Illinois State University, I met a guy who worked at the college radio station and he told me I should come down to the station and play my music. After listening to my music the PD said he liked my voice and asked me if I ever thought about doing radio. I have been in radio ever since. I always say radio found me and I'm glad we met!
2. What was the biggest change in the move up from being a personality at the station to being the PD?
I used to get more sleep when I was just a personality. You go from just thinking about making your show hot and keep your ratings up to making sure everything on the station is on point and running perfect. When you're just a personality, all you focus on is your show and your events. After becoming a PD, the entire station is on my back to run from helping out sales, promotions, music, hiring and firing people. I'm very blessed to have a great staff and working for a great company.
3. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to play in the NBA or NFL and I was pretty convinced I was going pro in either one. Then, reality hit me.
4. I know Champaign is a vibrant college town being home of the University Of Illinois. How's the club scene in Champaign?
The club scene here is like spring break every weekend, but without the beaches. Always a good time!
5. What about Champaign might surprise people unfamiliar with the city/market?
There is so much talent in this area from the athletes to the singers & rappers. It's a city full of entrepreneurs just waiting for their opportunity. Also, people would be surprised how many big artists come to perform here from Jay-Z, Drake, Ludacris, Kid Cudi, Lupe Fiasco, Wiz Khalifa and the list goes on.
6. What's your favorite song on the station right now?
Young Jeezy-Leave You Alone
7. Who were some of your radio mentors?
- Deb Lessor at WZND taught me the things I needed to know about being in radio and to succeed in this business.
- Don Black gave me my 1st paid radio job, so he really opened the door for me to get in this business.
- Kevin "Gravy" Canup showed me the less sleep you get, the more money you make in radio.
8. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Who gets spare time in radio? When I do have time, there is a pretty good chance I'm on my couch watching movies or catching up on my DVR recordings. I just like being lazy when I have time to.
9. If you could be on any TV reality show or game show, which would you want to be on?
Game show would have to be Wheel of Fortune and reality show I think I would fit in good with the Jersey Shore crew, even though I'm not Italian.
10. Hypothetical question...If you were getting married in two months and you could have any group or singer perform at your reception, who would you choose?
I would have Destiny's Child get back together for one night and perform "Cater to You".
Do you have any phobias?
My biggest phobia is looking in the fridge and there is no food in it. Scary stuff.