10 Questions with ... David J (formerly Gringo Suave & Joe Breezy)
April 17, 2012
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- KYLD/San Francisco (promotions)
- KDON/Monterey (weekends & morning show stunt guy)
- KHTS/San Diego (morning stunt guy)
- KKFR/Phoenix (morning stunt guy)
- KHTN/Modesto-Merced, CA (afternoons)
- KDON/Monterey (nights)
- KYLD/San Francisco (nights)
- KDND/Sacramento (nights)
- KZON/Phoenix (morning host)
- WWVA/Atlanata (APD/MD/afternoons)
1. What got you into radio?
I was "that kid" calling radio stations and requesting songs. I've always known I wanted to be on the radio. My mom still has the tapes I made of myself pretending to be on the air. I play it from time to time in group settings. I act like I'm embarrassed and chicks think it's "cute," so that's pretty cool. The more I got into radio, the more I fell in love with it. 13 years later...here we are!
2. What was the biggest adjustment in moving into programming management from being solely an air personality?
Definitely the attention to detail that is needed. You make one simple mistake (i.e. type in the wrong number or input data research into the wrong column on a tracking sheet) and it could seriously hinder your music scheduling abilities. That, and being able to multi-task. For example, I'm typing this as I'm refreshing my Facebook, shopping online for new hair products and eating a kick-ass burrito. Very professional.
3. Atlanta is a long way from your Bay Area home. How has been the adjustment to living in the South?
It took me about a year to truly get used to Atlanta. The culture is very different however it's kind of the same (if that makes sense). Give me a big city, some cool party people and a tanning bed within five miles of my apartment and I'm good. But seriously.
4. What's been your favorite Southern food or drink discovery? Are you now a sweet tea, boy?
I have a late night love/hate relationship with carbohydrates so we're going to go ahead and skip that part of the question. Sweat Tea? Very tasty, however I don't have the metabolism to consume all that sugar. I choose to stick with light drinks like Coca-Cola, Peanut Butter milkshakes and eggnog.
5. What do you miss the most about San Jose and the Bay Area?
The Latin women, for sure. Err, I mean my loving family and friends. Ya, sure...that's it.
6. What's your favorite song on the station right now?
I truly love most of the songs on our station. I turn up "Turn Up The Music" when it comes on. ( <-----inserted funny, but not that funny joke) We Run The Night sounds dope on our station, Anything with Pitbull is on fire right now, On a side note, I swear Chris Brown, Nicki Minaj, and Pitbull are personally stalking me. Artist separation is impossible at times so I'm kind of pissed at them right now, so let's move on :)
7. I know that your morning stunt guy days are behind you but what's probably the most bizarre stunt that you ever did in your 'past life'?
Hmmmm...probably being convinced that having someone hit a cork into my ass with a baseball bat was going to save baseball was bizarre. Chugging a whole bottle of Patron was pretty bad ass though. It didn't workout too well..but it was vibey and chicks dig it. Wait...what? They kind of do though...it's weird.
8. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Aside from spooning the crap out of my dog Lucy at night... just relaxing with friends and watching TV is actually very enjoyable to me. Yes, I know...thug life at it's best.
9. If you could be on any TV reality show or game show, which would you want to be on?
Well, I've been on a few including Tosh.0 and most recently "TruTV Presents" World's Dumbest...." (youtube "Joe Breezy Patron Challenge" to check it out) however my all time favorite is Big Brother. I'm a total nerd for that show and think I could win it all. I was a finalist for it a few years ago but was never cast. Those beautiful bastards are sculpted and chiseled to perfection and I like pizza. So what?? Is that a crime? Whatever.
10. Hypothetical question...If you were getting married in two months and you could have any group or singer perform at your reception, who would you choose?
I'd keep it old school and revive the 80's hair band days. Or that Tupac hologram that performed at Coachella was pretty legit. Tupac and I obviously have a lot in common, so that would probably makes the most sense.
Boy shorts or thong?
That's like asking if you're more happy with owning a mansion in the Caribbean or Hawaii! Either way, you're king of the world so you can't really be pissed at the Universe. Just go with it. Go.with.it.