10 Questions with ... Kobi Kearney
May 22, 2012
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- Intern at Clear Channel Raleigh Summer of 1999
- Weekends/Swing Man at WDCG (G105)/Raleigh Winter 1999- Spring 2003
- Nights/Production Asst. at KQIZ (93.3 The Beat)/Amarillo, TX- Spring 2003-Spring 2004
- Nights/Production Asst. at WHTF (Hot 104.9)/Tallahassee, FL- Spring 2004- Fall 2005
- MD/nights/afternoons at WLKT (04.5 The Cat)/Lexington, KY- Fall 2005- Fall 2007
- MD/nights at WHKF (99.3 KISS FM)/Harrisburg- Fall 2007- Spring 2011
1. What got you into radio?
When I was a little kid all my friends wanted to be doctors, scientists, BMX bikers, professional athletes, He-Man, GI Joe's....(Well I can admit I wanted to be a GI Joe) but I ALWAYS wanted to be a Cosby kid on TV and a radio dj! Me and my best friend, Steve, used to pretend we were owners of a radio station called K97.9 (A direct knock-off of K97.5- Raleigh. Please don't sue us, Radio One. We were like 9 years old.) Anyway between our fake radio station and my fast talking raspy voice and discovering my older half brother, Tommy, was in radio it was my destiny. I was the kid who said,"I want to be an entertainer when I grow up." I used to talk over the djs in the car and in my room and pretend to be them! Once I got to college, I got an internship at Clear Channel Raleigh and the rest is history thanks to guys like Chris Edge, Jo Jo Devoe (aka Matt) and everyone else at G105 that took me under their wing and helped me become the jock I am today.
2. What was the biggest change in the move up from Harrisburg to Philadelphia?
PPM....PPM.....PPM...and traffic. My drive to work went from 5-10 minutes to 25-45.) and more places to shop and eat! Oh yeah and going from a HUGE company to a smaller family owned company.
3. How did you end up going to college at North Carolina State?
Long story short...blame my high school counselor. I have and ALWAYS will be a Tar Heel for life but my counselor told me my grades wouldn't get me into UNC so don't waste my money applying. She convinced me to go to a HBCU and after a year in Greensboro, I transferred back to Raleigh and went to my mom's favorite school, NC State. They have an awesome Communications program. I also found out that I could have gotten into UNC after the fact! GO Tar Heels even though I owe NC State money!
4. Does Philadelphia have a soft, sensitive side?
Yeah! You have to actually LIVE here to see it, though. I love Philly. FYI....I have yet to boo Beyonce or throw snowballs at Santa.
5. What's your favorite song on the station right now?
It's a tie between Usher -Scream and Rihanna -Where Have You Been
6. Could you imagine having WRDW PD Dan Hunt as a teacher in high school?
Ummmmm...Do I REALLY have to answer this? Honestly, if he was I think he would be a History or Social Studies teacher. If he had his way, he would be a Zombie 101 teacher. I am not into that stuff so I would never sign up for the class. (Plus, I was a jock/class clown in high school so that class would mess with my rep with the ladies!)
7. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Travel, spend time with my family and my lady, cooking and watching sports!
8. If you could be on any TV reality show or game show, which would you want to be on?
Real World or The Price Is Right, but only if Bob Barker came back for my episode, though. You have to respect the King of Plinko.
9. Hypothetical question...If you were getting married in two months and you could have any group or singer perform at your reception, who would you choose?
1st choice: Boyz II Men with all four members or a tie for 2nd between Musiq and Maxwell (the singer...not that dude across the street!)
10. Beer and pizza or sushi and sake?
Corona and Papa John's
Best cheese steak in Philly per Kobi Kearney is?
Jim's. Hands down!