10 Questions with ... Jonny Diaz
May 9, 2011
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- INO Records
- Jonny Diaz (2011)
- More Beautiful You (2009)
1) What is the story behind the new single "Beauty of the Cross"?
"Beauty of the Cross" is a song written for the church to lift up in worship together. I don't normally record corporate worship songs but the first time I heard this song it just hit me. Here we were talking about one of the most awful torture devices ever conceived by man and we're saying it's beautiful. To the world this may seem weird, but to those of us whose lives have been changed by that cross, it makes perfect sense.
2) What is the message or theme that you hope is conveyed through the new album?
There isn't ONE specific theme. However, I always write in accordance with a mission statement. I strive to write songs that entertain, encourage and challenge the body of Christ.
3) What do you hope someone walks away from a Jonny Diaz show with (other than maybe a t-shirt or CD)?
I hope people are encouraged and challenged to go love on their community. You see, I'm leaving but they're staying. How cool would it be to return in a year and see that hundreds had come to Jesus because the crowd heeded my challenged to go love?
4) Do you have a favorite song on the new album?
"Break My Heart." Normally I write songs for other people. This song snuck up and really spoke to me!
5) Who inspires you personally, spiritually and/or professionally?
My wife inspires me. She truly has all of her priorities in line and often times I do not.
6) Which do you enjoy more: the studio or the stage, the writing, recording or performing?
I enjoy them all for different reasons. How's that for a political answer? If I have to choose, I'd prefer to write and record music over anything else.
7) Where is your favorite place to play? Any favorite venues?
I love southern California. If it made ANY sense at all for my career, I'd move there in a heartbeat.
8) What song do you wish you had written?
Pretty much every Brad Paisley song
9) Fill in the blank: I can't start the day without ________.
Checking Twitter on my phone
10) Do you have much time to check out other artists' music? What are you listening to right now?
I love a bunch of the Nashville singer songwriter folks: Madi Diaz, Matt Wertz, Andy Davis to name a few.