10 Questions with ... Laura Story
May 30, 2011
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- INO Records
- Blessings (2011)
- Great God Who Saves (2008)
1. What is the story behind the latest single "Blessings"?
The song "Blessings" was written as a reflection on joys and pains God has allowed in my life. When my husband Martin was diagnosed with a brain tumor five years ago, we struggled to understand how a good God could let something so bad happen to the children he loves. Though we still have so many questions, we are learning that there are blessings to be found even in the hardest trials. I am learning to depend on him more than I ever imagined that I would need to and he has been sufficient to meet every need. And learning to trust God in a deep way is a blessing in and of itself.
2. What is the message behind the new album?
The new album is about worshipping God in the midst of real life. Every person has their story and every story has its ups and downs, but God calls us to bless his name at all times (Psalm 34) and my prayer is that this album would serve as a tool for worship in every season.
3. Do you have a favorite song on the new album?
My favorite songs always fluctuate but right now it's a song called "One Life." It's about having one chance on this Earth to give our lives completely to the cause of Christ. It's about learning to believe Scripture when it says that it's only in the losing our lives for Christ's sake that we are found.
4. Do you have any humorous or interesting stories from visits with radio stations?
Visiting radio stations is truly one of my favorite things we get to do. The funniest thing that has happened to us recently is me forgetting my capo for a two-day radio trip. The first day we fashioned a Sharpie to my guitar with rubber band. The next day, having misplaced the Sharpie, I used my piano player's finger. Thank God for radio!
5. Who inspires you personally, spiritually and/or professionally?
Personally, my husband. He is the constant source of encouragement behind everything that I do. Spiritually, my mom always modeled to me the reading and memorizing God's word. Anything good in me comes from that investment. Professionally, probably a toss-up between Michael Card and Mac Powell.
6. Do you have much free time? What do you like to do in any spare time?
My husband and I love to hike. There's nothing better than getting out in the woods with a tent and some bratwursts and sleeping under the stars by a campfire.
7. What song do you wish you had written?
Probably Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C# minor. It's an incredible piece.
8. Where is your favorite place to play? Favorite city or favorite venue?
Favorite venue will ALWAYS be Perimeter Church, our home church in Atlanta. We love traveling but there's nothing like coming home!
9. Fill in the blank: I can't start the day without:
COFFEE!!!! (Was I supposed to say Jesus?)
10. Do you have much time to check out other artists' music? What are you listening to right now?
Right now, I'm listening to Natalie Grant's new single "Your Great Name." Such an amazing artist. Such an anointed worship song!