10 Questions with ... Aaron Gillespie
January 31, 2011
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- BEC Recordings
- Anthem Song
1. What is the story behind the first single "We Were Made For You"?
I had the opportunity to go to Uganda this past year on a mission trip with Compassion International. I was really, really excited to feel a "change" happen in my life, but after seeing everything I saw I just felt bad. Then on the last day of the trip we went to a church service, and what we found was 1,000 Ugandans worshiping God like you would not believe. This changed my whole perspective on worship. They have nothing but give it up to God as if they are rich. We need perspective here in our country as Christians and there I found mine, as well as new inspiration. They worship God just because he is God and that's what we were made to do. That's why I wrote this song.
2. What is the message or purpose behind the new album?
What you see above [Question 1] is the real message, but just to help people and myself on our vocabulary with worship because God exists, not because we have or do not have.
3. Can you tell us a little about your decision to make a solo worship album?
I just felt so pressed upon to make a worship record that "the youth" of our culture could relate with. I felt like it was time to help myself, and others like myself, enter into worship of our great big God.
4. Do you have a favorite song on the new album?
I don't, actually.
5. Who inspires you personally, spiritually and/or professionally (songwriting/performing)?
Paul Baloche, Dave Grohl, John Mayer. Ahhh, there are too many!
6. Which do you enjoy more: the studio or the stage (writing, recording or performing)?
I think that there are different and equally lovely things about both.
7. Where is your favorite place to play?
South America and Central America in general. The people are unreal!
8. What song do you wish you had written?
"Tear Down The Walls" by Hillsong or "My Hero" by Foo Fighters
9. Do you have much time to check out other artists' music? What are you listening to right now?
Of course! John Mayer, "Live In LA" and Hillsong United's "Across The Earth" (just to name a couple)
10. Do you make New Year's Resolutions?
This year I just want God to be glorified, whatever the cost.