10 Questions with ... Lauren Heerlein
February 28, 2011
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
Interned the summer after my sophomore year at Flicker Records then interned the next two years at Tooth & Nail while I finished college. One year after I graduated, I had an opportunity to join the BEC/Tooth & Nail radio team.
1. What are some of the projects or artists you're working with right now?
Right now we are really excited about one of our new artist Hyland. We are currently working on releasing their debut single at radio. We also are gearing up for Aaron Gillespie's debut solo release "Anthem Song"! I feel like we always have something new and exciting going on.
2. What is your favorite part of your job?
My favorite part is the many facets to a typical day and that I get to use my passion for music in my job. I also get to satisfy my Type A personality and do administrative work and plan events, while getting to talk music with friends each week!
3. And your least favorite part?
There is nothing that pops into my mind that I dread doing. HA! Maybe just not having enough time in the day to get everything done, but I guess that is life.
4. What is the best piece of advice you've received when it comes to the music industry and radio?
The best advice I've received is to always be eager to learn and not take yourself too seriously. There is always room to grow and learn and have fun while doing it!
5. What does Christian radio need to do to break through to a mass audience on a more consistent basis?
I think it is important to continue to grow with the listeners, provide new and relevant music that connects in positive light. I believe there are many stations that are doing just that, stepping out and trying to evolve and be at the forefront.
6. Any interesting or funny stories from your interaction with radio folks? Or do you have a favorite part about being on the road?
I think one of my most memorable moments with radio folks is trying to coordinate a flash mob at the last Momentum. I am not a dancer at all and then trying to get radio folks and band members doing the same movements at the same time, definitely great memories from that!
7. Who inspires you personally, professionally and/or spiritually?
My dad is a huge inspiration in my life. Throughout my life he has led by example on what you can accomplish when you put God first in your life, both personally and professionally. He has integrity and amazing work ethic that I hope has transferred over into the job I do and the life I lead.
8. What music would we find playing in your car or on the iPod right now?
My most recent purchase was The Civil War's "Barton Hollow," and I've been loving that record, but I've also been playing a little Taylor Swift in the car. [wink]
9. If you could have any other job outside radio or the music industry, what would it be?
I love crafts and planning so I think it could be fun to have an event planning business or own a little boutique shop. I have worked in retail in the past and have a love for shopping.
10. Fill in the blank: I can't make it through the day without:
Checking my email.