CPR Promotional Check-Up - Nov 5, 2015
November 5, 2015
Cue Pharrell Williams
One of the things that I've learned is that happy employees create happy and great product/experiences whether it's donuts or theme parks or hotels or radio stations. So this is not really anything we need to have a ratings service tell us, that Hot in DC is a freaking monster. https://www.facebook.com/elizabethany/videos/10205351749735121
Our Very Own (Insert Something)
The sign of a great station is that they have their own brand of something.
- KGON in Portland used to have Brew 92 and money from each six pack that was sold in a local chain of convenience stores went to a scholarship fund. This was not a local microbrew. This was some honestly pretty awful stuff that was made by a brewery across the river in Vancouver. But still, it was cool.
- Leah Black at KOB-FM in Albuquerque had her own smoothie at a chain of franchise places.
- The Boxx in Houston had their own flavor of ice cream.
- The morning show at KSFM had their own pizza at a four outlet pizza chain in Sacramento.
- 103.5 Kiss-FM in Boise had their own freaking Idaho State Lottery scratcher tickets.
And the exceptionally cool Clare The Producer from the exceptionally cool Z-102.9 in Cedar Rapids has her own boy band:
This idea snowballed for us this summer and became HUGE. We started a boy band called ClareBOYant. I claimed to understand the boy band playbook completely--probably better than Simon Cowell, so Scott and Ric allowed me to get my very own band as long as I fed and watered them. I auditioned 10 high school show choir boys and whittled it down to 6. They had a hit song written by a listener/aspiring song writer; a photographer client pitched in professional pics, a banner, and posters for them to autograph; a choreographer gave them some moves so that they could perform at a downtown farmer's market and at a small neighboring town's Summer Celebration; one of our biggest clients, a powersports store, loved the bit and jumped on as a sponsor so we created a fragrance and "sold" it exclusively at their store (it smelled terrible and was a combination of bug repellent and other smells). The bit was supposed to be over with the end of summer, but it's so great that we did another song for this fall and now we're about to release their first music video: http://www.kzia.com/clareboyant-music-video-world-premiere