CPR Promotional Check-Up - May 20, 2016
May 20, 2016
How To Debut With Some "Ooomph"
I'm more of a "let's get it on the air and get settled and make sure we're listenable before calling any attention to the product" kind of guy. So, obviously, this 23,000,000 view youtube capture of the debut of TNT in Belgium goes against everything I believe in.
Wedding/Focus Group Crashers
In terms of a morning show topic, wedding crashing is great. At LEAST two or three times a Summer I'm in a hotel where there's a wedding reception. A nice shirt and pants and I've never NOT been able to mingle and score a free drink or two. (It beats reruns of "COPS")
Why do you want to have every member of the Street Team and intern staff signed up for the competition's database? Because every once in awhile a station will recruit focus group members through their database...and like we did in San Antonio, the opportunity to get 20-25 people undercover to pick all the wrong songs, is just too good to pass up.
I spent some time on Monday helping a station strategize a big concert battle they have looming. Some reminders.
- Whoever has the most bodies will win
- You want to be the first thing they see and the last thing they see when they arrive and depart, even if that means you need to set up five blocks away. Or two miles away with banners at KSON in San Diego
- "But they won't let us on the plaza" or "It's neutral so all we're getting is a small space for our canopy"
- "They won't let us do any kind of stickers"
- Cheerleaders are great. You put them in shirts and have them man all the corners and avenues leading in. In exchange, go out and broadcast from their next car wash.
- Do a schematic and map out all of the signage locations leading in. Think out how people will be arriving. What roads. What highways. Use highway message boards. Do sidewalk stencils on all of the sidewalks leading to the venue.
- But they can't tell you what you can do OFF SITE. And if you do have a canopy, you want an activity or thing that will build a crowd. Nothing is sadder than in intern with a prize wheel and no one is standing there, while across the plaza there's a crowd watching people play Musical Chairs for front row seats.
- Laminates. They're cheap, they won't get stuck on the facility walls afterwards and people will keep them as swag.