10 Questions with ... Foxes
April 15, 2014
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
1. Where did the name Foxes come from?
I actually wrote a song and had to change my name. Someone said how about Foxes and I said that's ridiculous. Then it kind of stuck with me and I asked my mum and she said there are a bunch of foxes on the street right now and they are making these beautiful noises and it sounds like a good fit. Mums are never wrong.
2. How did you end up teaming up with Zedd for "Clairty"?
We actually Skyped for about a year-and-a-half; he was very specific about what he wanted and the sound he wanted, so I recorded it and he loved it.
3. Did you ever expect it to be as big as it was?
Not really, but it's great and I feel like its done its own little thing and taken off.
4. Your first solo single here in the States was "Youth;" it was a Top 5 Dance radio single and you have a new single coming out called "Holding Onto Heaven." Can you tell us a little bit about it?
This is a really personal song to me, I just shot the video, it's about struggling about yourself and feeling low and all the emotions that go along with it. The video visually explains it, with a split-screen where you see happy me and sad me, with me really trying to reach out for the other me.
5. Any remixes of it? Do you like hearing remixes of your songs?
Yes, crazy good ones ... the Chainsmokers did a great one. I love remixes!
6. Is there someone that you would love to work with that you have not worked with yet?
I recently met Katy Perry and I absolutely love her. She is an incredible artist. Musically, I think that is where I want to be, and would love to work with her.
7. What can we expect from you in 2014?
I have an album coming out in May and I will be doing a lot of touring. I am going to be touring with Bastille in August. My new single, "Holding Onto Heaven," is just out. I am very excited.
8. You are starting to tour; what is your favorite city to perform in?
Actually America, everyone is so excited and happy, I love NY. L.A. has always been great to me.
9. You like listening to what your mum has to say. What was her reaction to you being a singer and hearing your songs on the radio?
She is very proud and she always let me be free to do what I wanted to do. She's the one behind me and helped make me into a singer going for it and jumping into it; I think she finds it very daunting.
10. What is a typical day like for you?
I wake up, I never know what to wear. I make my room look like a bomb hit it. I run outside frantically and then go onto something exciting work wise.
With all the traveling you do what is one must have item?
What do you do in your spare time?
I laugh. I love to laugh!
Do you have a favorite restaurant?
I'm a big burger girl. I love burgers, or cakes. I would say Shake Shack; one just opened in the U.K.