10 Questions with ... Alesso
September 9, 2014
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/AlessoOfficial
- Twitter: twitter.com/Alesso
- Instagram: instagram.com/alesso
- Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/alesso
1) How did you get the name Alesso and where are you from?
It's shorter version for my real name Alessandro. When I was figuring what name to use when I was releasing my music, I decided to have something that reminded people of my real name. I removed some letters and then it felt right. I am from Stockholm, Sweden.
2) How did you get your start into DJ-ing?
It all started first by me producing music then I eventually starting DJ-ing.
3) How long ago did you start producing?
I started when I was 16, so it has been seven years.
4) In 2012 you had a hit with Matthew Koma "Years" and that same year you did a song with Sebastian Ingrosso & Ryan Tedder "Calling (Losing My Mind)". How did those collaborations come about?
"Calling (Losing My Mind)," with Sebastian Ingrosso, started off as an instrumental version. It was the first collaboration I had ever done, which at that time was something really new to me. To work as two people in one studio was different, but it went really well. Eventually we felt that the track could have a good vocal on it. We reached out to Matthew Koma, who started working on that song. We were happy about the song and we had to decide who was going to sing on it -- should it be Matthew? Sebastian came up with the idea that it sounds like this could be Ryan Tedder singing on it; it has that Ryan Tedder vibe on the vocal, so we reached out to Ryan. He loved the record and he worked a little bit more on the vocals as well. That is how it was done. Since I thought Matthew Koma was a very talented artist and music writer, there was no doubt that I wanted to send "Years" to him to see if he wanted to help me out with the vocals. He wrote it; I felt he did an incredible job and wanted to keep him as the singer on the song.
5) Do you remember where you were the first time you heard your song on the radio?
I was in Stockholm; I was driving my friends car and heard "Calling (Losing My Mind)" on the radio.
6) Your current single is "Heroes" featuring Tove Lo, how did this song come about?
I am getting ready to come out with my debut album and I wanted to work with people who I really felt I could do something great with. I heard about Tove Lo two years ago and felt I really wanted to work with her. The way she writes lyrics, the way she sings, her voice ... I really like everything about her. I really thought we could do something great together, so I reached out to her. I told her I really loved her stuff and asked her if she wanted to work on some new projects together; she said yes. We jumped into the studio and it went really quick. It did not take us long to finish and we were both so happy with it. There is a big message in the song and I am glad so many people are already enjoying it.
7) Can you tell us about the other new song you have out now -- "Tear The Roof Up"?
"Tear The Roof Up" basically is a type of track that I have not produced in a long time. I wanted to do something new and bring in new cool elements, but I also felt I wanted a song like this in my DJ sets; I felt I was missing a track like this. I came up with the bass line and starting working with that and the song just got more and more crazy. Now I'm playing it out; people are loving it and I'm loving that people are loving it.
8) You have an album coming out; do you have a name for it yet?
No, so stay tuned. The reason I have not decided on a name for it is because I really want to sum up the album with one word. I want the one word to describe the whole thing. I have one, but I need to be 100% sure. I have been working so hard on this album; I hope that people will enjoy it.
9) Any artists or vocalists that we can look forward to you collaborating with on the album?
I have a song with Ryan Tedder from One Republic. I also have some really good up-and-coming new artists who are just incredible, so stay tuned.
10) You've done some great remixes including Swedish House Mafia "Save The World," LMFAO "Party Rock Anthem," Nadia Ali & Starkillers "Pressure" and One Republic "If I Lose Myself." Is there a favorite remix that you have done?
I would have to say that I was very happy with the "If I Lose Myself" remix. When I remixed that song, I achieved something that I did not think I was going to achieve. When you work on a song, sometimes you get really tired because you're tweaking on every sound for hours, but with this song still makes me happy and that's new to me. I still enjoy playing it.
Is there a favorite place that you love to DJ?
I love New York. I love all the major cities in the U.S. I love playing in California; I just love playing for American people. Worldwide I love Ibiza. Every summer I go and play there and it is magical.
Right now, I love the song from Coldplay "Magic"
If you could go out tonight and hear one DJ spin, who would it be?
I have heard all of them so many times, but I would want to hear Axwell. He really surprises me every time.
One must-have travel item?
My phone, it's everything to me. I have everything I need in it. If I were to go on tour without it, I would miss a lot.