10 Questions with ... Elephante
March 29, 2016
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
1) Elephante, is that your real name, and were you a big fan of reggae growing up?
Tim is my real name; Elephante is just a little something I came up with to reference the elephant in the room, and all I want to do is just make music. I am a big Bob Marley fan but no, I was more of an Indie Rock, Pop, Blues kind of guy.
2) Your last single was on Armada; your new single is self-released.
Yea, we've done a couple of singles with Armada. They're great. We're just working on a bunch of new music.
3) What was the single on Armada and what's your current new single that you just released?
The single on Armada was "Age of Innocence." It's been out a couple of months now. It's still rocking. It's gotten a ton of support. The new single I just released is called "Closer," which features Bishop and I'm really excited about it.
4) "Age Of Innocence" went Top 10 on radio here in the U.S., what was that feeling like?
It's been crazy hearing myself on the radio and having my friends text me, and now we're going on this tour promoting my music.
5) Who was more excited when you first heard your music on the radio, you or your family?
Oh, my Mom! In this industry you try not to get too excited, but my mom was freaking out calling and texting me, so that was cool!
6) How did it all start for you?
I've made music my whole life. My mom would play the movie Fantasia for me and plop me down in front of the TV so I don't know, I've been playing piano and guitar my whole life. It's in my blood, I guess.
7) Speaking of Fantasia, you do a lot of remix work; are you planning on doing a Fantasia remix for Disney?
LOL I'd mess around with it! It's such a classic, you'll have watch out for the Disney remix EP. LOL
8) What are you working on, remix-wise? I know you've done a whole lot of remixes.
I have a bunch of remixes locked and loaded, but I'm more focused on working on original music now, trying to put together an EP for sometime this summer.
9) Are you doing a lot of touring?
I am. I'm actually heading to the airport to Orlando after this, D.C., Boston, and then New York.
10) Favorite city to DJ in?
It's hard. Favorite is a strong word. Maybe the coolest experience was in Montreal, (Canada). Everyone there was great and the food is amazing. I'm a big foodie.
We're driving in your car, we're going to grab a bite to eat, where are we going?
UMami Burger! It's been more of a West Coast chain. They're sort of fancy, kind of odd burgers but they're incredible
We're driving to the burger place, listening to music, what are your fans going to be surprised to hear you're listening to?
Anything not EDM. I listen to a lot of Hip-Hop, I listen to a lot of Indie Rock. I've been bumping the new Mike Snow album, that's a big one, and Flume. I don't know if that would surprise them or not.
There are a lot of young, aspiring talent who want to be that next big producer or DJ, what's one piece of advise you would give to an up and coming artist?
I would say, just focus on your music. Music first, second, third. All that networking and stuff that helps, if you don't have base of that cool sound, something that people are really interested in, something that's going to last, all the other stuff is kind of hallow. Just keep working hard on your sound.