10 Questions with ... Echosmith
June 15, 2015
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
Echosmith is composed of four siblings: Graham, Sydney, Noah, and Jamie Sierota. Their debut single "Cool Kids" was a Top 5 hit at Hot AC and Top 10 at Top 40.
Their current single "Bright" is currently approaching Top 10 at Hot AC and Top 15 at Top 40.
Look for their debut album, "Talking Dreams" which will be released this fall via Warner Brothers Records. Echosmith will also be touring with American Authors this summer.
This interview was conducted with Echosmith's singer, Sydney Sierota.
1) Please tell us how Echosmith came together?
My brothers and I picked up our instruments individually without the intention of starting a band. Then six years ago we decided to play together.
2) And how did the name come about?
We got "Echosmith" from the idea of a blacksmith and shaping metals, it means "shaping sounds".
3) How have you all grown as a band since you began playing together?
Playing together for so long has given us so much perspective and growth in life and music in general. We started by doing covers and then moved on to writing our own songs and discovering our own sound.
4) What do you think sets Echosmith apart from other bands and what's it like being a family band? What are some silly things that you and your brothers have argued about?
Being siblings is definitely unique in itself. Our goal as a band from the start was to be ourselves no matter what environment we were put in. We actually truly enjoy each other so being a band is fun for us. We usually fight about where we are going to eat.
5) You've released several covers. What's been a favorite one so far?
Our favorite cover so far is "This Must Be The Place" by Talking Heads.
6) How excited are you about your upcoming fall tour with American Authors?
We love American Authors and we cannot wait to see what this tour is going to mean for us. It'll definitely be a fun one!
7) What music are you listening to now?
There was a band called Bad Rabbits on Warped Tour with us this year that were amazing live!
8) Where do you get the inspiration for your music?
We are simply inspired by life and sharing all four of our perspectives on it.
9) Thus far, what's a favorite memory or something quirky that's taken place with the band (in-studio, on-stage, or elsewhere)?
One of my favorite memories was playing on Conan "O'Brian and realizing truly how short I am in comparison to him.
10) Is there anything in particular that you'd like people to take away from listening to your music?
We just want people to know that they are loved and that it is okay to be yourself. Accepting yourself makes life so much more enjoyable.
Any pre-performance rituals?
We just stretch, pray nothing goes wrong, and do some vocal exercises.
When you aren't performing or writing new material, what do you like to do for fun? How do you wind down?
We love to cook, make coffee, work out, and I'm very into Pilates and yoga lately.
*Special thanks to Leah Adams who conducted this interview.