Monday, June 1, 2015
June 1, 2015
In a recent column we talked about maximizing your own cume as a means of self-promotion.
There are so many ways you can market your station that are free or low cost, but I would submit that most are rarely optimized.
- Check your station's Facebook page. If it wasn't updated today, and you haven't responded to anyone who posted on your site, you are not maximizing.
- Do you follow your own station on Twitter? Same as above?
- Digital video cameras are cheap. Are you capturing great moments at the station and posting them on your site or YouTube and promoting the heck out of them?
- Do some very basic P.R. Seize the free opportunities.
- Does your staff really "work" a remote or stand behind a table and wait for people to come to them?
- Is your PD and Promo Director programming and promoting the station to the day? What's going on that's big in your market TODAY, and how can you be a part of it?
There's so much more, but I just wanted to get you thinking about it. So, the next time your PD comes in your office blaming "no marketing money" on ratings woes, start the "Are we taking advantage of what's free first?" conversation. Then lay out the challenge.
Comments? E-mail me at email@example.com.