10 Questions with ... Gene Ford Jr. "Jassiem Jay/JJ"
July 31, 2012
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
I started as an intern in Sacramento with 103.5 The Bomb. In 2000 I was promoted from street team to on-air weekend/overnights. In 2001 I was given the opportunity to do nights until 2005. In 2007 I moved to Las Vegas to do weekends on Hot 97.5 until 2009. My last stop was in Lancaster, CA with 100.9 The Heat, where I did weekends...
1) What do you do to maintain a positive mental attitude and stay motivated?
Surround myself with positive people and thank God every day for my blessings.
2) How are you occupying your time, besides looking for a job?
With work, kids, family and training to be the next Food Network Star, I would have to say playing Madden.
3) Do you plan on sticking with radio?
Yes, God has given me a gift and I plan on using it.
4) What's the longest stretch you've had on the beach?
Living in SoCal I'm on the beach every day. So I would have to say 4 four hours, but for real, two years and counting.
5) What's the best way to get your foot in the door?
Stay humble, hungry and make sure you're in love with music and people.
6) What has been your best resource for finding out about job openings?
Allaccess.com and Urbanisite.com.
7) What's the craziest thing you've ever done to get a job?
I stood outside of 103.5 for a week .
8) What's the most unbelievable question you've ever been asked in an interview?
If I was an animal what kind would I be?
9) What has been your biggest career accomplishment?
Going back to school and getting my high school diploma.
10) If you were offered a similar position to what you were doing for considerably less money, would you seriously consider taking the job just to stay in the biz?
Uh oh ... now you're on your own for getting new music. If applicable, name your three most recent purchases since leaving the biz.
Frank Ocean mixtape, Wiz Khalifa, Lecrae.