10 Questions with ... Danny Czekalinski
August 20, 2013
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- KJYO/Oklahoma City
- KMXV/Kansas City
- WRMF/West Palm Beach
Anchored morning drive at each station
1) What do you do to maintain a positive mental attitude and stay motivated?
I have trained myself on Adobe Audition, started a weekly live Internet show on mysourceradio.com, started my own prep and website and continue to prep like I'm on the air every day.
2) How are you occupying your time, besides looking for a job?
I ride my Harley a lot and do lots of writing.
3) Some people get discouraged or enlightened with the business when they actually step out of it for a while. Tell us your observations from the outside.
Well, music radio pretty much bores me on 90% of the stations across the country. GREAT content is the only thing that can't be duplicated and will save radio. Anyone with a smartphone can have their favorite songs at any given moment. Soon the web will be in cars and more competition will be available. Radio continues to dig their grave deeper by playing a ton of music and cutting down on the personality. This is why I am holding out for a talk or sports show.
4) Do you plan on sticking with radio?
It's all I know how to do and it's truly what I enjoy.
5) What's the longest stretch you've had on the beach?
This is the first and the longest. I have been off commercial radio since February 2011. I could have been back sooner but I'm not gonna compromise on what I want just for the sake of getting a check.
6) What's the best way to get your foot in the door?
Network ... I have been doing that for 25 years and ya gotta stay connected. That goes for social media. React and contribute every day.
7) What has been your best resource for finding out about job openings?
All Access, my agent Heather Cohen, and the various contacts I have made over the years.
8) What's the craziest thing you've ever done to get a job?
I don't think ya gotta be a circus clown if ya have the talent, drive and determination.
9) What is the next job you'd like to obtain?
Lifestyle Sports Talk like CBS is doing or Hot Talk. That's what I'm holding out for.
10) How are you finding the "courtesy level" at places you've applied? (Callbacks, e-mails, rejection letters, etc.)
Ya know, that has been really disappointing. With a few exceptions, no one returns calls or e-mails. This probably is parallel with society in general, but people really seem to care only about themselves.
Your favorite new diversion is ...
NHL Hockey 13 on X-Box ... we play every Wednesday, Friday and Saturday from 6p until 2a. Perfect example of why I need to get back on the air.