10 Questions with ... Katrina Botelho
May 8, 2012
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
WHXR/WFNK/WTHT, since 2008
1) What was your first job in radio? Early influences?
This IS my first job in radio ... started out as a prize mailing and syndicated show loading fool.
2) What led you to a career in radio? Was there a defining moment that made you realize "this is it"?
Music, music and music. Oh, and talking ... I've always been a chatty Kathy.
3) If you were just starting out in radio, knowing now what you didn't then, would you still do it?
For sure ... hands down.
4) What career path would you be following had it not been for this industry?
I would be in the travel/tourism industry ... it's a big world out there. I was slated to join the Peace Corps and was waiting for my ship out date and then BAM, in two months I got my radio gig and fell in love. Sorry world, I'll be helping out in other ways.
5) What makes your station or market unique? How does this compare to other markets or stations you have worked at?
We are unique in the fact that our market has a ton of radio stations, thus making us hungry ... very hungry.
6) What is the most rewarding promotion or activity your station has ever been involved with to benefit the community or a charity?
We've raised just over $1 million for The Barbara Bush Children's Hospital at Maine Medical Center ... it's all about the kids.
7) What's the best concert you've been to so far this year and why?
Van Halen with Kool & The Gang. DLR still has it goin' on. Plus, he's powerful enough to stop the Hell's Angels from fighting in the crowd. I was AT the Manchester show where that went down and yes, I was knocked into by the dudes while they were throwing punches.
8) Tell us what music we would find on your car or home CD player (or turntable) right now and what is it you enjoy about that particular selection?
Currently I've got Motley Crue's Greatest Hits...why? Because it rocks. Period.
9) What's the closest you ever came to getting arrested for an on-air stunt? Or did you actually get arrested?
I was with Producer Joe from Free Beer & Hot Wings and as a Joe stunt, we were offering people money to shave their mustache. We took the stunt to the local soup kitchen (where there were lots of likely candidates) and needless to say ... got thrown out. THEN, had to go over and apologize and our GM made a donation. Ooof.
10) What was the most embarrassing thing that ever happened to you at a remote?
While dressed as our Country station mascot (a wolf), I was doing a black Friday remote with a jock who was supposed to be my handler ... but while they were doing a call-in, I was attacked, literally, by two 15-year-old boys who thought it was hilarious to pinch my arms and punch my nose.
Who would be your dream guest on the show?
Nikki Sixx, Steven Tyler, or Ozzy.
Favorite artist you have met?
Josh Todd from Buckcherry.
Name the artist/act (living or dead) you'd love to meet and why?
I'd love to meet Keith Richards or Mick Jagger ... because they are legends. Plus, James Hetfield. That would make my life complete.
What do you do in your spare time?
I run, work out, bake sweet treats, paint and do artsy=fartsy things.
Do you have any musical guilty pleasures?
Yes, Men At Work and Huey Lewis & The News. Okay, fine ... Lady Gaga, too.
Who is your best friend in the business?
I'd say Sudi at Setup Promotions and Full Metal Jackie. Both super powerful ladies.