Overnight Briefing & General Reality Check - Nov 13, 2014
November 13, 2014
Consumer research firm The NPD Group's 29th annual "Eating Patterns in America Report" disses kale, quinoa (KEEN-wah) and Sriracha and finds yogurt, pizza and chips are the real food stars of the past ten years. Nation's Restaurant News breaks down their top ten foods from 2004 to 2014:
10. Pancakes. The percentage of Americans consuming pancakes at least once in two weeks has grown 5.3 percent during 2004-2014.
9. Chips. The percentage of Americans consuming chips at least once in two weeks has grown 6.1 percent.
8. Frozen sandwiches. 6.2 percent growth over the decade.
7. Bars. Energy, granola, and the like saw 6.7 percent consumption growth during 2004-2014.
6. Fresh fruit. The percentage of Americans consuming fresh fruit at least once in two weeks has grown 7.0 percent.
5. Mexican food. The percentage of Americans consuming Mexican food at least once in two weeks has grown 8.3 percent.
4. Poultry sandwiches. The rise of Chick-Fil-A. 8.3 percent growth.
3. Pizza. 9.6 percent growth.
2. Bottled water. 10.7 percent growth.
1. Yogurt. The percentage of Americans consuming yogurt at least once in two weeks has grown 12.5 percent during 2004-2014. (Kaye)
Sucking the life out of the wire services:
The London Daily Mail reports ROBIN WILLIAMS left $50 million to his three children, CODY (who's 22), ZELDA (25) and ZACHARY (31).
Robin's will was filed in a California court three months after he committed suicide, and it also gives his third wife, SUSAN SCHNEIDER, an amount that was pre-determined in their prenuptial agreement signed before their wedding in 2011.
According to the legal documents, "When the beneficiary reaches the age of 21 years... [they would receive] one third (1/3) of the principal. [At 25 they'll receive] one half (1/2) of the remaining principal, [and at 30 they'll receive] the remaining trust property ...outright."
GEORGE CLOONEY and BRAD PITT won't be spending the holidays together. According to Star magazine, the actor's wives AMAL CLOONEY and ANGELINA JOLIE respectively, aren't very cordial with each other. Both women are smart and involved in humanitarian work and feel very competitive with each other and it's starting to affect George and Brad's friendship.
Phone starter: Does your significant other keep you from your friends? Do you let it happen to keep the peace? (Myers)
Is it OK to play an anti-war song at a Veteran's Day concert? On Tuesday night, BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN, DAVE GROHL and ZAC BROWN were part of the "Concert For Valor" on the National Mall in Washington, D.C., and they performed the CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL classic, "Fortunate Son," which is most definitely an anti-war tune. Twitter was full of negative comments and complaints about this, calling the song (quote), "anti-patriotic" and (quote), "inappropriate." (Marino)
Nice "get" for QUEEN LATIFAH, who's booked former President BILL CLINTON for her talk show tomorrow.
The Hollywood Reporter sez he'll cover "a number of hot topics, including speculation that his wife will run for president, his new granddaughter and his charitable work. He'll also touch upon one of the darkest days of his presidency."
The Ross Brittain Report has been perfected by Ross and his award winning writers to provide customizable show prep every weekday morning. To see why it's one of the most important show prep services in the US, or for a free two week trial, please contact us using the contact info below in the "About The Author" section.