January 26, 2011
My fifteen year old daughter just burst in and threw herself on my bed and proclaimed "I gotta warn ya, I'm PMSing like crazy. Man oh man I cant tell you how much I appreciate this warning it doesn't even run close to my cars warning symbol that I'm almost out of gas. I can go 35 miles on empty I can't always tell what mood my moody teen will be in so this heads-up holds much value. You can make all the estrogen jokes you want, women get that but not only do they have to manage their own 'issues' they mange those around them. Knowing what's up with my kid help in the extend grace arena however I've warned her not to take this out on anyone. Easier said than done but I feel I'm making progress thanks to this current announcement. When I ask what she needs she smiles, bounces back to her feet and says "nothing", as she walks away I know she's going for the Hersey bars stash I keep in the freezer for times just like this, she'll grab a bag of chips too, start texting her friend Maya all while watching Scott Pilgrim.
As I re-read this last sentence I think perhaps I might want to be PMSing too :)
She buzz words
She could be working at a..
- Drive thru coffee stand
- Dry cleaners
- Pizza Place
- Farmers Market
Right now she could be
- Retrieving her voice mail
- Learning how to retrieve voicemail
- Cleaning the litter box
- Wrapping a gift
Purchasing seasonal produce is always cheaper than buying fruits and vegetables that are not in season. She can get an up-to-date list of seasonal produce at the website www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org. Brought to you by the Produce for Better Health Foundation.
How many trips does she really make to the store for one more item needed to complete that day's menu? She can set up an online to-do list that sends an email or text message reminder at www.rememberthemilk.com.
"The hardest years in life are the years between 10 and 70" - Helen Hayes, quoted at age 73.
"Why do McDonald's french fries have to taste so good when they are so bad for you?"
Her "tween" wants to see a movie that has a PG- 13 rating. Some movies with this rating cross the line in content she might not want her child to see. To check information about movies, including details about inappropriate scenes, violence, and more, she can log on to www.kids-in-mind.com.
She's a mom
- Chicken pox parties are where parents specifically get their kids together with another child who has chicken pox so that they too will receive the virus instead of having to get the chicken pox vaccination (mandatory in most states for children entering kindergarten). The new controversy with the possible link between this vaccination and autism had parents more than concerned. Sharing lollipops, sippy cups, and pajamas are some of the happenings at this party. Many pediatricians are advising against these parties, concerned the kids could catch something worse than chicken pox. Would she or has she exposed her child to chicken pox in order to avoid the vaccination?
She keeps telling herself...
"Spring will be here soon."
Carrie Bradshaw probably would have gone to the trouble to protect her Manolo Blahnik shoes if these items would have been available: SWIMS galoshes, colorful plastic shoe covers, and Sole Mates heel guards protect pumps against wet elements. www.swims.com
The economy has some women overlooking the calories and fat in fast food so they can fill up and have something left in their wallet. All this processed meat, salt, and cholesterol can really ruin a diet. Here are the top-5 worst fast-food meals to consume, according to the Cancer Project:
- Jack in the Box junior bacon cheeseburger ($1) has 23 grams of fat and 860 milligrams of sodium.
- Taco Bell cheesy double beef burrito (89 cents) has 460 calories and 1, 620 milligrams of sodium.
- Burger King breakfast biscuit ($1) has 27 grams of fat and over 1,000 milligrams of sodium.
- McDonalds McDouble ($1) has 19 grams of fat and 65 milligrams of sodium.
- Wendy's junior bacon cheeseburger ($1.50) has 310 calories and 16 grams of fat.
- shape fx: Apparel with instant-slimming fashions. www.ShapeFx.com
- What was the last new recipe she tried?
- What are her "colors" and why?
- Does she wear anything that makes her look great but is terribly uncomfortable?
- Should restaurants have a cell-phone talking section?
• Get more She Prep at www.ShePrep.com