February 11, 2011
Summer camp registrations are happening now. My neighbor waited in line for two hours just to pull a lottery ticket to have a chance to register for a popular local day camp. She received middle status and was able to register for 70 percent of her needs and got put on a waiting list for the rest. Now her decision is whether to wait it out or book her kids somewhere else. Early registration does not always guarantee you a slot, but it does get you a cheaper price if you pay before June.
There's a camp for everything from skateboarding to computer programming and of course the infamous sleep away camp where many good memories will hopefully be made.
Its weird to be thinking about kids roasting marshmallows and doing arts and crafts now. Waking up early for the polar bear club might be months away but for a mom who needs to not only nail down summer care but summer fun for her kids she's standing in line and putting a deposit down now. Summer vacation plans are also in the works but that's a whole other column..for next week. Enjoy your weekend! She 's listening.
She buzz words
Right now she could be working at a
- Car wash
- Summer Camp office
- Obstetrician's office
Right now she could be..
- Taking a patients blood pressure
- Filling a prescription
- Packing a lunch
- Popping a cork
She phone starter
- How much do you tip the pizza delivery guy? Find out from a group of former drivers from different stores at www.TipthePizzaGuy.com.
- She can build her own pizza and figure out the calorie count at this Virtual Pizza Parlor. www.people.bu.edu
- WorstPizza.com found in an online survey that 63 percent have decided to stay home for Valentine's Day this year. A heart-shaped pizza could make for a great celebration. If she can't find a local pizzeria that makes this, she can make her own using a heart-shaped pan available at www.Wilton.com.
- Pizza is the number-one word search on Google.
- There is one pizzeria for every 4,000 Americans.
She's not thrilled to find a stack of five Original IHOP Pancakes,
without the syrup, tops 750 calories. Now she can make a better choice, and still fill up, with IHOP.For Me, a new menu with "smarter selections under 600 calories."
Target has pulled all farm-raised salmon from its stores and will only be selling wild-caught.
- Flip diapers are the new "it" reusable cloth dia-per. www.bumgenius.com
- Stay with me Baby adjustable socks are not disappearing in the dryer. www.staywithmebaby.com
- The Red Mohican Hip & Go is one of the coolest ways to carry baby's stuff. www.redmohican.com
- The Mini Social offers a website dedicated to mom, baby, and discounts on today's trendy items. www.theminisocial.com
According to a poll taken by Nestlé's
- 15 percent of toddlers eat French fries daily
- 55 percent of toddlers drink fruit juice every day
- 70 percent of infants eat at least one vegetable a day; 72 percent eat fruit each day.
- 36 percent of toddlers eat dessert every day
Here are some sites to search when seeking to purchase secondhand baby items
The Consumer Products Safety Commission advises all products be checked out for recall possibilities before purchase. www.cpsc.gov
The Whole Foods grocery stores are offering employees a discount on all purchases, dependent on their fitness and health level. All employees start with a 20-percent discount. Workers who sign up for this voluntary plan are given free health screenings and fall into one of four categories: bronze, silver, gold, and platinum, with discounts ranging from 22 to 30 percent off for their purchases. Is this discriminatory or a good way to have healthy-looking employees at a store that promotes good health?
Have damaged photos that you want to save?
There is a simple way to fix ripped and old photos. Log onto www.ScanCafe.com.
- Staycation: stay at home and enjoy your surrounding area
- Neighcations: a vacation literally spent in thesaddle.
- Leications: Hello, Hawaii!
- Claycations: an artsy vacation complete with a potter's wheel.
- Speedway-cation: a vacation spent behind the wheel (see: NASCAR).
- Say-cation: traveling to a specific country to study the language.
- The Consumer Products Safety Commission advises all products be checked out for recall possibilities before purchase. www.cpsc.gov
There are so many fun sites available for her kids to surf around on. Here are a few of her faves':
Fun kid-food sites
• Get more She Prep at www.ShePrep.com