March 28, 2011
"I didn't have the energy to do anything tonight except my nails," writes Jen on her Facebook status. This single She included a picture of perfectly painted purple nails. Part of me thinks "this gal is totally cool with staying home on a Saturday night, wow very mature"; the other part of me thinks it's just too bad, that after a long work week this gal should be out living life because once the husband and kids get added she'll long for these times of having such flexibility to choose what she does in her free time. These are pretty general options, as I don't really know all of Jen's "story." Maybe she doesn't want to get married, maybe she's broke or has a big day planned for tomorrow, so she's saving her energy. When all we have is less than 30 seconds to make a point, we make an assumption and go. There will always be more on air breaks to try another camera angle. The point is you need to give it a label and go.
So instead of psychoanalyzing why Jen choose the color purple to paint her nails, I thought I'd end with a list of names that OPI, the largest maker of nail colors, uses to name some of their purple shades: from the Shrek Collection there's Funky Dunkey and Rumples Wiggin', then Pamplona Purple, Purple with a Purpose, Nomad's Dream, Privacy Please and Catherine the Grape. Maybe Kate Middleton will get a polish named after her. I'd call it Don't Kiss and Tell Anything.
She Buzz Words
- Watery Eyes
- Permission Slip
She Could Be a..
- Tour Guide
- Travel Agent
- Account Executive
Right Now She Could Be..
- Going to Lamaze class
- Mentally preparing for a meeting
- Making funeral arrangements
- Itemizing things from 2010
She Could Be Working at a ...
- Accountants office
- Bagel Shop
- Convenience Store
- Orthopedic Supply Agency
"But I paid that bill online, what do you mean you didn't receive payment?"
She Phone Starter
What's her first sign of spring? Kids wearing shorts? Flip flops? Robins, tulips, allergies?
She Celeb Sites
- Gwyneth Paltrow shares her secrets to living the good life at www.Goop.com
- Teri Hatcher's inspirational web site aptly titled "A Chicks Guide to Life", is www.Gethatched.com
There are apps for every type of appetite. She can access recipes, take out menu's, shopping lists, and more. Here are a few, very popular food apps:
- Barista: Gives detailed instructions on how to work her espresso machine.
- Locavore: Shows what foods are in season, in a particular region.
- Seafood Watch: Handled by the Monterey Bay Aquarium, this app guides as to what fish to eat and what to avoid plus numerous recipes.
- Fromage: Lists hundreds of various cheeses.
- How to Cook Everything: Recipes and how-to instructions complete with tips and shopping lists from celebrity chef Mark Bittman.
- Ratio: Based on the book "Ratio: The Simple Codes of Everyday Cooking"; Calculations, recipes, and more.
- Kitchen Calculator: Scales recipes up or down.
- Mise en Place: Consolidates shopping lists, schedules, prepping tasks, and cook time.
- Weber's On the Grill: Great grilling technique videos and recipes.
- Calorie Counter: Tracks calories, nutritional value, and exercise.
- Dining Out-Zagat To Go: Gives over 40,000 restaurant reviews.
- Snapfinger: Locates the nearest chain restaurants, orders, and pre-pays with credit card too.
- Fast Food Calorie Counter: Check out how much those chili cheese fries will set you back before ordering.
• Get more She Prep at www.ShePrep.com