March 29, 2011
I would truly love to have my kid's metabolism. In fact I don't think I have ever had a metabolism that could consume mass quantities of fat ladened carbohydrates without repercussions. Although I try to balance the processed foods they love with healthy options, they still consume boxes of Totino's pizza rolls, Oreos, Dumplings, Hot Pockets, Cheetos and Kraft Mac & Cheese. Here is my youngest daughter's usual afternoon snack: three slices of Ellio's pizza, Pop-tarts and a bowl of ramen washed down by a Jone's Bubblegum flavored soda. You probably can't believe I buy all that stuff, neither can I. But long gone are the days of peanut butter toast and sliced apples. I offer to add a piece of fruit or salad with her snack, but if grumbles could hurt I'd be in pain. Besides teenage rule number 6 is not to speak to said child directly after school until adequate wind down time has happened. Rule number 4 is to stock the pantry with food that mom can't eat or shouldn't eat or doesn't want to eat.
I have a better playing field at dinnertime as everyone has to have a little of something and if you want seconds of the main course you have to have seconds of the veggie. These are my main rules, along with no cellphones at the table. Sometimes my kids seem a little twitchy at this time and I'm not sure if it's the addition of healthier food into their systems or the removal of a cellular device from their hands. I hope I never find out the answer to this.
She Buzz Words
She Could Be a..
- Food Developer
- Food Label Scientist
Right Now She Could Be..
- Contemplating her better option in the butcher department
- Cleaning out an aquarium
- Cleaning out a litter box
- Folding towels
She Could Be Working at a ...
- Jiffy Lube
- Car Wash
- Court House
- Police Department
"I wasn't even aware the speed limit was 35, everyone else was going faster"
She Phone Starter
How has she handled getting pulled over for speeding?
"What's Wrong with My Plant? (And How Do I Fix It?)."
- Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the U.S.
- The deadliest type is melanoma has climbed by 50%, in women under 39.
(Source: Family Circle)
- McDonald's McCafe (medium): 560 calories, 24 grams of fat, 70 grams of sugar, $2.79 plus tax.
- Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino (16 oz): 370 calories, 15 grams of fat, 54 grams of sugar, $4.03.
Clever shoppers know the tricks to saving at the grocery store. Here are a few items to avoid purchasing:
- Bottled Water: Using a reusable cup is much more cost affective.
- "Gourmet" frozen vegetables: Buy the cheaper version and spice them up yourself.
- Premium Fruit bars: Another item easily made with molds, juice, and a freezer.
- Boxed rice or pasta entrees: They're priced way beyond what they offer. Prepare rice and pasta separately.
- Energy bars: Most are calorie laden and expensive. A simple piece of fruit could suffice.
- Spice mixes: Majority of these mixes are salt. Most of us have enough spices in our cupboards to mix and use.
- Powdered iced tea mixes.
"Food, love, career, and mothers, the four major guilt groups." - Cathy Guisewite (Creator of the comic strip "Cathy")
Will she have to pay for that blanket, pretzels or soda? The Ultimate Guide at smartertravel.com will let her know what she's really paying for including up to date baggage rates.
• Get more She Prep at www.ShePrep.com