Improving Your Worth ... And Keeping Your Job
October 16, 2012
We have all seen a few of our mates lose their gigs in recent times.
We have all thought........ wow, it's getting closer to me. What can I do to dodge the bullet??
Here's a big tip that just could save your gig or at least buy you a heap of time.
The harsh reality is that radio stations are in it to make a profit, so the sooner all radio employees grasp this reality and figure out how to get involved in this area the better. By this, I mean figure out how you can impact on the bottom line.
There will be a way.
Times like these are difficult. There is a real sense of fear. This is natural, but by being proactive you can at least keep on the front foot and be seen to be part of the solution.
Here are some ways that programming staff can achieve this.
The overall theme here is to get closer to sales and really help them drive the bottom line and NTR in particular by creating new and unique opportunities and ensuring they are up to speed with market conditions.
- Communicate station programming goals and talk programming to the Sales Team. Extra radio/programming knowledge just might give them an edge over the competition.
- Keep Sales up to date as to changes in market forces. This definitely can create an opportunity for Sales to get back in the face of a prospective client.
- Be pro-active in finding/developing Sales Sponsorship opportunities. Get serious. Every station can find these unique NTR opportunities. If you don't believe this, call me, and we will find them together.
- Have a good knowledge of the station's core clients and their goals, so as to be on the lookout for opportunities. Have a list on your desk.
- Offer weekends for sponsorship, and plan ahead to give sales time to make the most of these opportunities. Most radio stations miss this opportunity.
- Ensure a sales representative is at all promotions meetings. This will forge tighter relationships and better communication.
- Facilitate regular brainstorms for the sales team as an agenda item in Presenter Meetings. Your Sales Manager will love this.
- Keep an up to date ideas bank on the go for easy access by the sales team.
Attention On air team. You can help too!!!!!!!!!!
Meet with your Sales Manager. Ask to meet with major clients. Make them feel good, get to know them.
Ask for their mobile number, and call them once a month. Clients love a relationship with the on air talent. Perhaps brainstorm how this can work for your situation.
Go on one sales call per week with a sales executive.
Offer (through the sales exec) to make an in-store appearance free of charge (if appropriate)
Drive a series of creative brainstorm sessions for important clientsâ€¦.perhaps even on site with their teams.(take a couple of your team with you.)
And.............. it's more than just direct contact with clients. With most programming and promotional teams being seriously cut, think about what you can do to help.
- Monitoring of your station and the opposition on a regular basis
- Script Writing
- Surfing the web for ideas
- Social Networking
Offering to learn selector to help the MD (a great second skill)
Think about it. What could you do??????????
To view The Big Bang archives click here.