10 Questions with ... Don Stuck II
October 16, 2012
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- WRZX/Indianapolis: Host or co-host of morning show 1997-10/2011
- WFBQ/Indianapolis: On-air nights 1990-97
- Pilot and airborne traffic reporter 95-97 multiple stations
- WNDY-TV: host 2003-2006
- WMCC-TV: movie host 1991-1996
- WSVL: Country morning show co-host 1988 to 1990
- Author of the book, "11 Through 20, The Next 10 Commandments" 2003-2010
- Professional musician, '79 to present
Radio & Records Alt/Morning Show of the Year nominee as co-host of Stuck and Gunner Show 2006.
Full-time member of WFBQ (Q95) air staff Marconi award winner for Large Market Station of the Year 1995, '96 and '97.
1) What led you to a career in radio?
Being in a band and opening for some larger acts. I would go with them to the radio stations while they were promoting the shows and watch the interviews. I was thinking to myself,"Hell I can do this!"
2) How would you describe the radio landscape in your market?
Contracting, with local shows being replaced quarterly by piped-in, out-of-market shows and "talent." It's a shame. The days of the cool overnight Rock guy from your city are gone.
3) Are you wearing more "hats" than you have in the past?
Yes for sure. When I started mornings I was the co-host, period. When I left mornings a year ago I was host, producer, blogger, editor, public affairs director and in charge of killing spiders in the women's rest room.
4) What are you doing social media-wise?
Facebook and Twitter ... and LOTS of it! Multiple posts a day. If something strikes me funny or interesting, it's going up -- and then you get instant interaction from the listeners. It kept me sane while on the beach!
5) What is your favorite part of the job?
It sounds like BS, but I love the show prep. I love finding a story that I know I can work with and drive the interest. Write up a few lines and let it rip live!
6) What's the coolest promotion you've EVER been involved with?
I grow giant pumpkins, and me and my partner at the time, Gunner, drove a junk car from an auto dealer into a 400-pound pumpkin going 50mph! The car was loaded with cameras for all to see. YouTube http://youtu.be/gBzs7spAWA0
7) What artist would we be surprised to find on your iPod?
It may be no surprise but Marilyn Manson. "Antichrist Superstar" is a GREAT album and an even better concert.
8) What's one thing that would surprise many people to learn about you?
I do 50 to 100 push-ups every day.
9) Who is your favorite air personality not on your staff and why do you like them?
Colin Cowheard on ESPN. He really knows his stuff, can be philosophical without getting boring and knows when a segment is done and time to get out. I think he's one of the best.
10) What is the one truth that has held constant throughout your career?
Be yourself and be honest with the listeners. Don't BS your audience about you or anything else because they will know. Larry King told me once: "Just be yourself on the air. If yourself isn't good enough, you'll be out the business soon enough."
What's your ringtone?
The Fox NFL theme song. When my phone goes off, every guy within earshot starts downloading it!