10 Questions with ... Dino Conard
November 19, 2013
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- 2002-2004 KCLD/St. Cloud
- 2004-2010 WFBC/Greenville
- 2010-2013 KWNW/Memphis
- 2013-Present WQEN/WMJJ2 Birmingham
1) How would you describe your first radio gig?
Emptying many trash cans and going on McDonalds runs for the morning show. If I borrowed money from you during this period of time ... I still don't have it.
2) "Local local local" has always been radio's mantra. How do you keep your station visible and involved in the community?
Within the first two weeks of arriving, I witnessed the Q's reach at the Southern Women's Show (20,000+ people), Birmingham's Race For the Cure, and our "We Care For Kids" Radiothon at Children's of Alabama -- a credit to our marketing team. We've also announced our Little Black Dress Party that benefits Breast Cancer Research Foundation of Alabama. Sure to be a great party for a great cause!
3) What's one thing that would surprise many people to learn about you?
I was the inspiration behind the song "Hero" by Enrique Iglesias.
4) If you could add one full-time position to your budget right now, what would it be?
Office barista. Don't underestimate the power of a good cup of coffee. Plus, FREE SCONES!
5) Who is your favorite air personality not on your staff and why do you like them?
Too many to pick just one. JJ Kincaid can you make you laugh in seven seconds. Kane and Bobby Bones are both great with developing the players on their respective shows. Listening to Kane every morning on my commute made me appreciate his skill with callers, making them feel like a valued part of the show.
6) Who would be a "dream guest" to have on your show?
Mariah Carey. I would not bring up the fact that I wrote her a marriage proposal when I was 10, then mailed it to her with no response. Because that would make it awkward. Slightly awkward.
7) What was your favorite station to listen to when you were a kid?
KDWB. I used a coat hanger on my boom box so I could pick it up in my tiny little town.
8) Do you have a favorite hobby outside of radio?
In our business, it's easy to let prestige, ego, etc. consume you. My kids are a great release from what can be a stressful career. Plus, who wouldn't want to play Lego video games while simultaneously attending a tea party?
9) What music do you listen to when you're not working?
Lately it's been Jon Foreman (Switchfoot's lead singer) and Ed Sheeran ... oth extremely talented guys.
10) For someone vacationing in your market, what one thing would you say they "must see"?
Definitely check out Oak Mountain State Park. It's gorgeous on a fall day's hike. The Alabama Sports Hall of Fame is also pretty amazing ... Roll Tide!
What ringtone do you have on your cell?
My kids saying "Pick up the phone silly Daddy." Yes, it's obnoxious, but would you rather it be "Blurred Lines"?