10 Questions with ... Randy Hendrix
February 2, 2016
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- KMIX/Turlock, CA -- Part-time (1989-1991)
- KATM (Kat Country 103)/Modesto, CA. -- Part-time (1992-1995)
- KNAX/Fresno, CA -- 7p-mid (1993-1994)
- KJUG/Visalia, CA -- 7p-mid (1995-1997)
- KFRY/Modesto, CA -- 7-mid/Imaging (1997-1998)
- KATM (Kat Country 103)/Modesto, CA. -- 7p-mid (99-01)
- KJUG/Visalia, CA. -- 7p-mid (2001-2002)
- KCRZ (Z104.9)/Visalia, CA -- APD/mornings (2002-2011)
- KCRZ (HITZ 104.9/997 Classic Rock)/Visalia, CA -- PD (2011-Present)
1) How would you describe your first radio gig?
Awesome! KMIX Country in Turlock, CA. I was a board op for Turlock High School Football, then moved into American Country countdown. Eventually, I was on the air weekends, nights and overnights. I loved it and learned the ropes! Shout out to Bill Mackey for giving me a job; not because I had a great air check, but because I was excited to work in radio!
2) What led you to a career in radio?
I was a mobile DJ, when I was a kid, and I still am today ... it was a natural progression!
3) What makes your station unique? How would you compare it to other stations you've worked at?
My Top 40, HITZ 1049, is the only true Mainstream station in the Visalia Fresno market! We have Elvis Duran, who was just inducted into the Radio Hall of Fame, and the #1 show on Z100/New York! He doesn't have many affiliates on the West Coast, but let me tell you, our listeners have embraced the show and it truly stands out among the others in the area!
My Classic Rock is a heritage station. 997 Classic Rock Plays great classics and some unique stuff that pops in from time to time. Add in Pat Garrett as the station voice, a lot of attitude and fun sweepers, and a crazy-ass air staff and you have an off the wall fun radio station that at work listeners embrace!
4) Are you wearing more "hats" than you have in the past?
No, actually one less. We now have a Promotions Director in the building, Leslie Davis, and that makes things easier. Otherwise, I've been wearing most of my hats for a long time!
5) What are you doing, social media-wise?
I have Chad Stafford working my HITZ social media and April Skye for Classic Rock. They both excel at social media. They are in touch with the audience on all aspects of their formats, and communicate with them many times a day. On HITZ, we just did a great weekend social media promotion, giving away Justin Bieber "Purpose" digital down loads!
6) What are your favorite show prep sources?
I use the usual ... TMZ, Perez Hilton, UPI, and Ultimate Classic Rock.
7) Who handles your imaging, and what voices are you using?
I produce the imaging on HITZ, and our voice is Dr Dave Ferguson. Dave sounds great on HITZ ... love the fun attitude. On Classic Rock it's a mixture on myself, Mike O Neil, and DJ Jess. Pat Garrett is our voice. He has the pipes and attitude I was looking for with 997 Classic Rock!
8) "Local local local" has always been radio's mantra. How do you keep your station visible and involved in the community?
We are every freakin' place we can be. HITZ was out at the community drive-in movies this past summer. We were involved in countless community events, the waiters race, food link community food drives, school supplies drives, and the turkey drop sticker stop. On 997 Classic Rock, we did Rocktober; we had Joan Jett auction off signed guitars for Susan G Komen Central Valley. We had the G for Kids toy drive and bike run for kids. And that's just off the top of my head. In other words, we are very locally driven. We want to be the station to go to for community events. You have to be local, or you will lose. And these events are just so much fun too!
9) What is the one truth that has held constant throughout your career?
Surround yourself with successful people and you will be successful!
10) What advice you would give people new to the business?
Keep knocking on doors and talking to PDs and don't get discouraged! Keep trying until you reach your goal, no matter what it may be!
For someone vacationing in your market, what one thing would you say they "must see?"
The Visalia Fox Theater and the sequoias.