10 Questions with ... Eddie Hernandez
April 5, 2011
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
I started in 1997, and have worked for three different radio stations. I was also on TV in 2003 ... when I still had hair.
1) How would you describe your first radio gig?
Fly 92.3! Always forgetting to cue up cart machines ... always getting hot-lined by my old PD ... LOL. I announced the Weekly Top 40 Kasey Kasem winners on Sundays.
2) What led you to a career in radio?
Before GPS maps, I was lost in Albany and I went to this school asking for directions. Six months later I somehow got a radio certificate.
3) What is your favorite part of the job?
Radio is a big hang-out. I don't call it a job because I'm having too much fun. It's all about the PASSION.
4) Who is your favorite air personality not on your staff and why do you like them?
I grew up in the Bronx and just loved Broadway Bill Lee.
5) Who would be a "dream guest" to have on your show?
Britney Spears! I met her in 1999 for a meet-&-greet. I was supposed to kiss her on the cheek and when she came to me I choked and asked, "Can I get you on my VCR?" At least I was wearing my fake mobil-bought Oakley sunglasses! I would mouth-feed Britney Spears grapes on my show in a hammock! Let's make it happen!
6) What was your favorite station to listen to when you were a kid?
1035/1039 WKTU! I remember working in the city in 1996 and KTU had the $50,000 Macarena Meltdown contest. When you hear the Macarena be caller 103 for the 50g. I was caller 99!
7) What music do you listen to when you're not working?
Beatles, Stevie B, Collage, Blood Sweat & Tears.
8) What is the one truth that has held constant throughout your career?
OMG, Eddie just said this on the radio! The "Dude, show me you want it" attitude!
9) What advice would you give people new to the business?
It doesn't matter what time you're on, envy your time in radio. Pay your dues, soak it in 'cause when you're out of radio, it sucks.
10) What is it about our industry that keeps you wanting to do it for a living?
I love the fact that it never gets old! I act on instinct and it's an addiction! I don't have tiger blood. but Italian/Filipino blood!
What's the biggest gaffe you've made on-air?
In 2007, I said I would plow Jordin Sparx and gave details about it ... something about pillows and tattoos. If you want to hear it I have a copy! Trust me ... I said more than just "plow!"