10 Questions with ... Charles Chavez
May 24, 2011
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
Radio mixer then music director from 1987-1999, Started independent label in 1999, Promotion Regional Mgr. for Interscope, then National Director for MCA Records from 2000-2004, Label Owner with Universal Republic from 2005-2008, Artist Manager since 2003 for artists including Frankie J, Baby Bash, Natalie, Chamillionaire and now Pitbull
1. As an artist manager and label head. What excites you about radio?
That it is still free and the #1 source for new music.
2. When you were in radio, did you get to know many artist managers?
Actually it was the independent artist managers that I got to meet and establish great relationships with that I still have today.
3. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
Rich like Richie
4. You manage one of the most prolific artists in the business, in Pitbull. Is he ever going to slow down and take a breath?
Why would he do that? We have a saying that goes there is no such thing as a missed opportunity, because somebody else takes it.
5. What impresses you the most about Pit?
Thats simple.... work ethic.
6. Besides talent, what usually does or doesn't jump out to you when looking at possibly signing an artist?
They have to be willing to work harder, jump higher, run faster than anybody else. I would rather chase them, then push them. Thats the ideal artist to work with.
7. Houston, Texas is home but what city always excites you on your itinerary?
I have been all over the world, but there is no place like home... nothing better then your own bed.
8. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Listen to old skool music and drink wine.
9. If you could be on any TV reality show or game show, which would you want to be on?
I don't know but I can be the latin Simon Cowell.
10. Hypothetical question...If you were getting married in two months and you could have any group or singer perform at your reception, who would you choose?
Al Green or Marc Anthony AND Pitbull.
Do you have any phobias?