10 Questions with ... Big Stress
August 16, 2011
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
I started DJing in '93. From there, college radio on WRIU from 95-99 and after creating a buzz between my college mixshow and clubs, Jerry McKenna, then PD at WWKX called me with help from DJ Buck and Jenny Boom. I've been a part of WWKX since '99. In 2003, Tony Bristol moved me from weekends/fill in to nights fulltime. I've been doing nights ever since.
1. What got you interested in Radio?
I've always listened growing up and when I had chance to become part of a show in 95 on WRIU along with a good friend, Mig, my passion grew more and more.
2. What gets you excited about doing music at Hot 106?
Mixshow is the most exciting for me. Generating a buzz for songs that aren't ready for rotation is the best feeling.
3. You're a hip hop fan. Has the shift of Rhythmic radio to a more Pop sound been disappointing to you, personally?
Lol, Personally, I could probably go on all day about this topic. As a fan of hip hop it's very disappointing. But I feel it depends on the station positioning. If the station doesn't position itself as a "Hip Hop"..then its all the same, but if its positioned as a "Hip Hop" and 85% of playlist is Pop, your listeners would definitely be able to tell that the station is very confused.
4. What never ceases to surprise you about your listeners?
How fast they are at wanting new music and the demand of playing their favorite song. It's the time of "On Demand". You gotta give them what they want or they will go somewhere else.
5. Think back to being about 10 years old. What did you want to be when you grew up?
We all have our hopes and dreams. At that age its tough to say, but at 10, I wanted to be Hulk Hogan!
6. What two words best describe your boss, Dan Hunt?
7. Who do you consider to be your mentor(s)?
I would have to say one of my best friends, DJ Buck (PD at WZMX/Hartford)..in so many ways he has helped me without even knowing it! I would also say Tony Bristol (OM/PD at WPRO). He has helped me understand different aspects of radio.
8. If you could be on any TV reality show, which would you want to be on?
Awww man, Biggest Loser! I'm at almost 125 lbs gone!
9. What's the best thing about doing the night shift at Hot 106?
Let's see, there is absolutely no one in the building at that time. Seriously though, nights are just exciting with everything going on, contests, countdown, mixshow. It's a lot of fun.
10. If you were to leave Radio today and you could choose any other occupation, what would it be?
After having kids of my own, I would definitely like to work with kids.
What's your favorite song that you're playing at Hot 106, right now?
A freak gravitational shift has added three hours to everyday. What would you do with those extra three hours?
I would probably hit the gym for an extra hour and sleep the other two.