10 Questions with ... Bill Baker "The Rumpshaker"
February 19, 2013
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- WOCQ/Salisbury-Ocean City, MD (1999-2001) morning show producer/parttime on air
- WJKS/Salisbury-Ocean City, MD (2001-2002) afternoons
- WSBY-WDKZ/Salisbury-Ocean City, MD (2002-2007) PD/MD/afternoons/middays
- WOCQ/Salisbury-Ocean City, MD (2007-Present) APD/MD/mornings
1. Remember the first time you walked into a radio station.what was your impression?
I was like a kid in a candy shop! I used to be 'that kid' who would call my favorite radio station growing up and request songs and get on the air daily, guest DJ, announce the #1 song in the top 5 of the night. All that stuff.
2. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. Nah, I really did want to be on the radio when I grew up. I used to make tapes on a little recorder acting like I was already on.
3. You live and work in a big summer resort area. How do you, as a station, gear up for the summer beach season?
Well, years ago it used to get real busy for 3-4 months out of the year and dead in the winter time. Ocean City, MD and the DelMarVa area really has grown as of late and it's more year round. I feel like we are always busy. We pick up a few more clubs and beach stuff in the summer which is always good and I love doing things actually IN Ocean City at the beach!
4. Do you watch Here Comes Honey Boo Boo for entertainment or show prep?
HAHAHA! My co host is actually 'June' from Honey Boo Boo so I'm forced to live the show.
5. Ocean City could use more ____________?
Coffee shops! I say Starbucks on every corner.
6. What's your favorite song on the station right now?
It was Frank Ocean - Thinking About You. I'm really feelin' the new Justin Timberlake featuring Jay-Z - Suit & Tie now. You know, in our format, it changes every week!
7. Best dressed at the 2013 Grammys?
Me! In my beater and boxers sitting on the couch with my wife watching!
Jay-Z was lookin' fly.
8. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Spend time with my beautiful wife and 4 kids. That and watch lots of TV.
9. If you could be on any TV reality show or game show, which would you want to be on?
Any game show where I can win that MONEY!! Maybe Deal Or No Deal.
10. What's the worst non-radio job you've ever had?
Retail! Fold clothes?? Really? I don't do it at home...why do I have to do it here?
Beer and pizza or sushi and sake?
How did your first air check session go? Do you have any specific memories of that meeting?
I can't really remember the first one, but before I got my own morning show, I was on with my mentor, Buck Wilde formally from K104 Dallas and 95.7 Jamz in Birmingham. We both walked in the meeting for an aircheck after the morning show, so tired. I guess we didn't get much sleep the night before. We sat down and said to our PD, "Okay, okay, okay...whatever you say is right and we were wrong. Are we done yet?"