10 Questions with ... Orlando
July 16, 2013
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
I started in Tallahassee, while in college at Florida A&M University, as an intern in '91. I moved to reception/traffic, then on air, doing nights at Top 40/Mainstream WXSR (Star 101.5)/Tallahassee. I eventually became the MD and shortly after, we changed formats to Alternative and became WXSR (X101.5) in '93. I remained on as MD and then became PD/nights. In '95, I left for Top 40/Mainstream WWLD (Wild 106)/Tallahassee and became MD/afternoons and then switched to WHBX/Tallahassee in '97. In '98, I finally left the comfort of Tallahassee for Tampa, as MD/aternoons at WLLD (WiLD 98.7). In '01, I segued to PD/Mornings, where I reside, right now, at our WiLD 94.1, The Bay's Party Station.
1. What excites you about jumping on the air at 6 am?
Being able to spew the 100's of strange thoughts and retorts to what I've seen, the last night on television. I'm lucky to be a PD who gets not only a connection to the audience, but in a more conversational, morning exchange.
2. It's a PPM world, does the PD side of your brain sometimes battle the morning host side...during a break?
All of the time. I remember getting an offer to take over a station, during our worst gas challenging days of last year. What we would jump at, garnering press, TV and a huge spectacle, quickly became a conversation about "maybe we should just get gas cards and make appointment times. PPM has changed the game, the game board, the pieces and all Monopoly money, as well....and the battle continues.
3. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to be a lawyer. So much so, from the age of 7, I would walk around with stacks of blank, filler paper (my files), in a Snoopy briefcase. I think I did that through the first two years of college.
4. Why does so much weird shit happen in Florida?
Everyone loves Florida, so the crazies do, too. Even nutty people vacation...they just never leave.
5. Your kids are growing up. How has raising children affected your role as host of the Freakshow?
It's made me more rounded, because the audience now has a family/parenting aspect to my bag of tools. Sure, one day it's "strip club", one day it's "wow, we were wasted at the ball game", but another is "how long am I supposed to keep all of my daughter's work on the fridge?"
6. What's your favorite song on the station right now?
"The Way" - Ariana Grande - REAL VOCAL TALENT, NO TRICKS!
7. Loved Wild's Second Chance Prom promotion. Take us back to your first prom. What would you change?
My first prom I would've gotten by older brother to book me a hotel room, instead of thinking my junior baby face wouldn't be questioned. Very hard having post-prom, coital activity, in mom's 300ZX TWO-SEATER! OUCH!
8. What do you like to do in the little spare time that you have?
Love the charities that I work with, Texas Hold-Em, writing.
9. I could see you hosting a TV game show or reality series. What show would you like to host?
I'd love to host The Voice or Inside The Actor's Studio
10. Hypothetical question...You need a fill-in co-host to cover a week for vacation. Amanda Bynes or Kim Kardashian?
Amanda Bynes all day!!!!
Dish a few secrets about your Freakshow teammates?
Davy is a serious clothes whore. If his shoes don't match his shirt, hat, etc, he may not go. Meredith is the tiniest foodie that I know. She's always eating, so she has the metabolism of an anaconda. Our new producer, Bags, from B96/Chicago is a activity Freak, he's been home maybe twice in a month.
Best dinner meal in Tampa?
Council Oak in The Hard Rock Hotel. Lobster mac n cheese is SO GOOD!