10 Questions with ... D.J. Lopez
November 12, 2013
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
I didn't get into radio the way most do. I was a true "prize pig" when I was younger living in Santa Fe. A friend of my dad's was a sales person at an AM/FM combo, and they were looking for a board-op/office person. Sungroup bought the FM station and moved it to Albuquerque, and applied for new calls (KKSS). I was still in high school so was going to have to quit. I ran into the PD of another FM station (Q-106) in town. I used to win a lot of prizes from them and he asked if I wanted to come work for him.
I worked there for a couple of years, then they moved to Albuquerque, too. I worked at a music store and a couple of movie theaters for the next three years, then moved to Albuquerque to go to college.
I started working at KKSS in 1993 doing nights full-time...(found out that going to college and doing radio full-time don't mix)...til about 1995, then went to KKOB as a "floater"/morning stunt guy. I came back to KKSS in 1998 with Tony Manero and Jackie James and worked there until 2001.
Then I went across the street to KYLZ and was successful in beating KKSS for a couple of years with a bad signal. Then Univision and Pete Manriquez and Co. (Dana Cortez, Kandee and Crisco) came in and showed the whole damn city how it was done!
KYLZ flipped to talk radio in 2005 (yeah, and look how that turned out!). I came back to KKSS AGAIN later that year, working parttime for a year, then became full-time Promotion Director. That lasted a little over a year. Our PD, Homie Marco, got the opportunity to program KBBT/San Antonio and recommended me for the PD position here at KKSS in January 2008.
1. What do you love most about radio?
The ability to entertain and be an escape for listener's everyday trials and tribulations
2. What if I had asked you that question 10 years ago?
Meeting all the girls.
3. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
An accountant, like my mom.
4. As we head towards Thanksgiving, what are you thankful for? (3 things?)
- family and friends
- my girlfriend who loves me unconditionally
- to be able to do radio in my hometown after 25 years
5. What about Albuquerque would probably surprise a newcomer?
The gorgeous views
6. What's your favorite song on the station right now?
B.o.B.'s "Headband"- I like Chainz' rap about 'whistling Dixie'.
7. If your morning host Dana Cortez, was a high school teacher, what would she teach?
8. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Travel to see concerts and sporting events.
9. If you could be on any TV reality show or game show, which would you want to be on?
CBS' Amazing Race...hands down!
10. Chicken, pork or beef?
beef because it's sweet!!!
If I wanted the best representation of food in Albuquerque, where would I go for dinner?
El Pinto...that's where everyone goes.
If you could have one super hero power, which would you want?
The power to read people's minds.