10 Questions with ... "Cousin" Ed
January 14, 2014
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- WIFC/Wausau, WI (high school)
- WBIZ/Eau Claire, WI
- WHTF/Tallahassee, FL
- WSSX/Charleston, SC
- WIBT/WHQC/Charlotte, NC
- WPOI/Tampa, FL
- WNRG/Milwaukee, WI (currently)
1. What got you into radio?
My 6th grade Science class. Studied radio for 2 weeks, then the class split into small groups. Mr. Schmidt went out and bought a 'Mr. Microphone' and we took turns putting on a 5 minute radio show. After that, I went out and got my own mic, and made a basement radio station that you could get within a one block radius. I forced my siblings, and friend across the street to listen...4 listeners...about the size of the current PPM sample in Milwaukee. (rim shot!)
2. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I began drawing house plans in 3rd grade and aspired to be an Architect. It all changed in 6th grade...what a dumbass!
3. Did coming to Milwaukee feel like coming home?
Absolutely! From the moment I heard my first "you betcha," I knew I had landed back in the promise land. It feels great though. I moved away from Wisconsin when I was 20 years old, and took my 2nd full time gig in Tallahassee, FL. I lived it up in the South for almost 11 years. I lost my stepfather in '08 tragically...he was my Dad. Since that moment, every career move that I made, was to get my resume ready for the 1st opportunity back home. It is simply a blessing to do what I love, and take a short 2 1/2 drive home anytime I want to see family.
4. What's probably the biggest popular misconception of Milwaukee?
The city is drunk! Ha! Home of Pabst, Miller, Lakefront, Horny Goat brewing companies...and several more. Milwaukee is portrayed as the "beer capitol," to which it is...yet when looking at the "drunkest cities in America," it doesn't even make the top 10. I know, and have recently met more professionals in this city, than all of the places I've lived, combined.
5. Would you rather be on a TV reality show or host a show like ABC's Wipeout?
I dream of being in a reality show with Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert. You know that'd be a damn good time! If rolling camera on my life is what it takes to hang with those incredible people, than bring it on!
6. What's your favorite song on the station right now?
Out of all times to ask this question...I'm quite impressed with a lot of the music out right now. But, I'd have to say..."Love me again" from John Newman.
7. If you weren't in radio, what do you think you'd be doing professionally?
Either an airline pilot or a cop. Chicks dig dudes in uniform.
8. We're just starting 2014. What would you like to do better personally and professionally in 2014?
Personally, I would like to travel more in 2014. I've never been overseas, and would like to change that. Now that I'm closer to family in WI, I feel I have the excuse to get the hell outta here every once in a while.
Professionally, I want to win. Bad! This is technically my 1st PD gig, and I owe it to not just my team at Saga, but my mentors I've had throughout the years. I must win.
9. If you were elected mayor of Milwaukee, what would probably be your first order of business?
Fix the potholes. The streets are horrible in this city-there's a lot of wear & tear throughout the winter months, due to salting the streets, etc. I've come real close to burning 'Barnes & Noble' (nicknames for my downstairs friends) several times with a coffee on the way to work.
10. If you had to eat one type of meal everyday for a month, what would it be? (Mexican, Italian..etc)
Give me Italian!