10 Questions with ... Greg "Hot Boy" Lemons
July 1, 2014
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
I started my radio career as an intern for KBLR/Omaha, NE and came to KOPW as a mixer and worked my way up.
1. What do you love about radio and being a program director?
I love the process of having an idea that my team and I know would get the city excited, gain TSL, and generate revenue... The in a matter of a few weeks, seeing the entire process come alive.
2. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted be a meteorologist. Now that I am an adult, I sometimes wish that I could take the "meteorologist approach". Sometimes I want to tell my GM that I forecast the rating will fall between a 2 and a 25 share with a 50 percent chance of a revenue increase.
3. Music producers continue to make names for themselves with hits on the radio. Do you have any particular, personal favorite producers.
Programming music all day every day, I am naturally drawn to the familiar producers ie: Mike Will, Pharrell, DJ Mustard, Bangladesh, and so on. If I had to pick a favorite, I would probably say DJ Mustard.
4. Where did you go to college and what brought you there?
I went to Grambling State University. I went to Grambling because I am a drummer. I seen this band previously at the State Farm Bayou Classics, and fell in love. In 1998, they played the halftime of the Super BOwl, and I KNEW I had to be a part of that movement.
5. What would probably surprise most people about your market?
The amount of millionaires that live here. We are at the top of millionaires per capita in the US.
6. Your "go to" romantic spot in Omaha?
Down town is beautiful. It has a early 1950's setting, but with all the new amendments like the foot bridge over the Missouri river, it's a win.
7. Who is probably the best singer on your Hot staff?
We have great DJ's on staff, which means that we have horrible singers! I feel bad for any client that wants my staff to sing a jingle on any add!!
8. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I schedule music in my spare time! I work in a midsize market which means, you have to produce a product of a major market, but only have the staff of a small market. Spare time does not exist.
9. If you could be on any TV reality show or game show, which would you want to be on?
The Real World. I know the show is WAY past its prime, but I would love to live in a house with complete strangers, no rent, and get to show the world how hard I party... WIN!!! Not to mention the hot tub... OHH THE HOT TUB!!!
10. Hypothetical question...If you were getting married in two months and you could have any group or singer perform at your reception, who would you choose?
Michael Jackson, because the likely hood of it happening would be the same!!
If you had to eat one type of meal everyday for a month, what would it be?
Seafood! Great variety of meats and some veggies, and a very healthy choice. I know, you thought I would say chicken.