10 Questions with ... Dana Cortez
August 5, 2014
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
I started radio with Clear Channel 12 years ago in Midland/Odessa, TX and was quickly picked up by Univision. I've programmed small, medium and major market radio in the recent past and I now have the #1 rated morning show, #TheHouseParty, on KKSS in Albuquerque and the #1 rated midday spot in San Antonio on KBBT.
1. What got you into radio?
Happened by chance really - I was asked to do a very parttime spot on a Tejano radio station which quickly turned into fulltime and then a programming position at Clear Channel. My Nana always said radio or TV for me - I should have listened to her from jump.
2. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
3. Was there a moment when it became clear to you that you were, in fact, a morning radio personality?
When my brand manager at Clear Channel, John Candelaria, said "Girls really LIKE you Dana. Girls don't usually like other girls." And when I realized I had the ability to inspire and change people's lives.
4. How did you get your first morning show gig?
John Candelaria made me do it!
5. Isn't your husband in the music business?
Yep. DJ Automatic - #ShadyVilleDJs crew, locally loved and internationally traveled. It's good except that I don't get to go. Lol! I'm definitely his biggest "groupie".
6. Besides Allaccess.com, what are some of your favorite Web sites?
TMZ, E!, Rap Radar and Saks.com. I do love my shoes. #ShoeSnob.
7. If you weren't in radio, what do you think you'd be doing professionally?
Counseling. People reveal their most intimate secrets to me wherever I go - people that don't know who I am or what I do ask me for advice all the time. I'm in the right biz.
8. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Read - when I have time - listen to music, exercise and mostly have my time with family. I love my family.
9. If you could be on any TV reality show or game show, which would you want to be on?
Keeping Up With The Kardashian's - only so I can hang with Kanye and North.
10. If you had to eat one type of meal everyday for a month, what would it be?
MY Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas. I'll have to make you some, one day. They're the BEST!
If you were to go on a 2nd honeymoon, where would be your dream honeymoon spot?
Vatican City. Maybe it's not sexy, but it's spiritual. I've always wanted to go there. (does the sign of the cross)