10 Questions with ... Ryan Deelon
May 5, 2015
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- From Intern to MD at KPWR/Los Angeles
- APD / Afternoon Host / Mixer at KWYD/Boise
- PD / Afternoon Host / Mixer at WHTP/Portland, ME
1. What got you into radio?
I grew up listening to WJMN/Boston but it wasn't until the end of my freshman year of college that I started to consider a career in radio. A college teammate talked me into trying out for the hip hop show on WERS, Emerson College radio. I got the gig and my love affair began. Cheesy right? A couple years later I headed west and finished my last semester while interning at KPWR/Los Angeles for DJ E-Man.
2. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
At 14 and younger I would have said NBA player. 15 and older, I would have gone with music video director. I actually put together several videos for a few local artists. I came across one the other day. It wasn't very good.
3. You moved out West to Power 106, then to Boise and back to New England. Was there a readjustment on your return?
There is always some level of adjustment to new surroundings. I had to get used to football games starting three hours later and snow in the winter again.
4. What makes programming Hot 104.7 special to you?
Only a handful of PDs can say they were part of their radio station from the ground up. I walked into the station day 1 and there was not a single piece of furniture, let alone equipment. A month later we signed on and began building a brand. Seeing the market's response and watching the station's growth has been amazing.
5. What would probably surprise most people about your market?
The population swells in the summer. Book your hotels in advance.
6. If you weren't in radio, what do you think you'd be doing professionally?
It's tough to imagine myself in anything outside of radio. I would get bored with the standard 9 to 5 gig. Maybe a military position or a fireman.
7. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Attend sporting events / concerts. Go Red Sox, Pats, Celts (and I'll jump on the Bruins bandwagon come playoffs). Have you seen Beyonce live? She's phenomenal!
8. You played college basketball. Any similarities in programming and playing ball?
Both can be very competitive
9. Hypothetical question...If you were getting married in two months and you could have any group or singer perform at your reception, who would you choose?
Rae Sremmurd... which is probably why I won't be getting married anytime soon.
10. If you had to eat one type of meal everyday for a month, what would it be?
Sushi or chicken parm