10 Questions with ... Dee Garcia
October 6, 2015
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
KBFM/McAllen, KWYD/Boise, WWKX/Providence, KEXX/Phoenix, KKFR/Phoenix, KOAI/Phoenix
1. What got you into radio?
Funny story, I was that girl that always LOVED listening to the radio...but I never in my wildest dreams thought about BEING on the radio. When I was in college, a girl in one of my classes interviewed/auditioned for the Morning Show gig on Wild 104 with Johnny O...but she told me that she thought I was better suited for the job. WHO DOES THAT? If it weren't for her, I would have NEVER gotten into radio.
2. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to BE Selena. I've always loved to sing, and to this day I challenge anyone to TRY and stump me on a Selena song. I know EVERY word to EVERY song. I used to sing them into hair brushes and throw my very own concerts.
3. You've been doing mornings for a few years now. Have you gotten use to waking up early yet?
God, no. It is a DAILY struggle for me. I am a night owl by nature, so trying to convince myself to get to bed early is TOUGH! But if you ask me what my DREAM day part is-I will say mornings! It's 100% worth it for me.
4. What's your favorite thing about doing mornings? Least favorite?
Favorite: Having the opportunity to make an emotional connection with the listeners on a daily basis. Whether it's ruffling feathers, making them cry, or simply being the friend they get to laugh with on the way to work-my job is simply so rewarding and such a blessing.
Least Favorite: See Question 3.
5. You're at Power 98.3 now, a Hip Hop station but you do voice work for other stations. Do you have a format preference?
Let's break it into my favorite to LISTEN to, and my favorite to WORK on. To Listen to-COUNTRY!!! I'm a Texas girl and I love country music. To work on-HOT AC/Pop. I'm all about pop culture, and I really LOVE the music too.
6. At wedding receptions are you the star of the Chicken Dance or The Electric Slide?
I'm the star of the Macarena. And the star of having two left feet!
7. If you weren't in radio, what do you think you'd be doing professionally?
I would either be a starving actress living in New York (my degree is in theater) or a teacher! My Grandma Lupita worked as a teacher for over 30 years...It's something I always admired about her. Teaching is second nature to me.
8. If you were inclined to have a "celebrity pass"...who would it be?
Tough one. Can I pick formats for that one too? Country: Luke Bryan Pop: Justin Timberlake Rhythm: Drake
9. If you had to choose a new hobby this weekend, what would you choose?
Snorkeling! I've never done it, but I LOVE the ocean/beach and it sounds like it would be the best thing ever. For a second, I wanted to be a marine biologist so being up close and personal with sea life would be awesome.
10. What artist, actor or athlete do you think would be a fun BFF to hang around with?
Easiest question on the list: Taylor Swift! Everyone says the BEST things about her, she's incredibly talented, and I have been a SUPER fan since she was just a country girl singing "Hey Stephen." My sister Christina and I always talk about the fact that we want to be best friends with TayTay. That's what we call her, because we're cool like that.
1. If you had to eat one type of meal everyday for a month, what would it be? (Mexican, Italian..etc)
I'd have to go with TACOS!!!! Corn tortillas, carne asada, a little onion, cilantro and a homemade salsa. That's the only meal I can think of that I wouldn't get TIRED of after 3 days.
2. Have you decided on a Halloween costume yet?
Nothing official yet, but I'm leaning towards "Netflix & Chill." It's hilarious and it will cost all of ten dollars!