10 Questions with ... Katherine Murillo
April 12, 2016
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
When I was in school I did a radio internship for college credits which is where I originally met Rico and Mambo. I didn't really work with them but worked around them. Over the next couple of years I took some time off of school but eventually went back and finished my degree in Broadcast Journalism (Go CSUN Matadors!). It's funny because not even two months after I graduated, I went to apply for a different radio station but still within Gold Coast. I was told that The Rico and Mambo Show was looking for a new co-host. I applied last summer and the rest is history.
1. What got you into radio?
I love to talk (shocker)! I've always had such a love for broadcast and giving people information. Plus being able to make people smile/laugh is always a rewarding thing.
2. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
A Pop Star, but I soon learned I couldn't sing...like at all...so there went that dream. I don't know though, auto tune has switched the game up so you never know now.
3. Now that you're doing the morning show with Rico & Mambo. What time are you going to sleep and waking up?
OMG! I am the biggest grandma ever now! I'm in bed by like the 10 at the latest, latest! I wake up at 4:15 (but like actually get out of bed....like 4:30ish).
4. Prior to starting with Rico & Mambo, did you consider yourself a "morning" person or were you more of a night owl?
Definitely a night owl, I've never ever been a morning person. Plus I was a cocktail waitress while I was in school so I would get off at like 3am - but it totally worked for me because I've always suffered from insomnia. I still don't think I'm a morning person, I just happen to be a person that's up in the mornings.
5. Rapid fire, one word, word association time.
- Kim Kardashian: Selfie
- Rico: Hats
- Lunch: Pizza
6. The Rico & Mambo Morning Show recently hosted a party cruise to Mexico. Which member of the show probably has the longest list of interesting stories to tell?
Haha! I'm sure they could both come up with a couple interesting stories about me from Mexico. Don't believe everything you hear! #whathappensinMexicostaysinMexico
7. If you weren't in radio, what do you think you'd be doing professionally?
I would probably be working in a small market newsroom. That was my original plan right after college, I was preparing myself to move to Wyoming or something. I am definitely glad things worked out the way they did.
8. Who would you cast to play the members of the morning show if a Netflix series was going to be made?
Haha! I'm so bad with actors' names! Wow, I'm totally stumped, that's a good one! He's gonna kill me but for Rico - Danny DeVito (long story). For Mambo...let's just say Danny Trejo! lol
9. Worst pick-up line that you can remember?
Anything that starts with "Hey Girl or Hey Baby." Oh, that's like the number one way to get me to go from 0 to 100 real quick!
10. Without asking Rico or Mambo, who do you think they each think is the sexiest actress, singer or athlete? Who would they say you think is the sexiest actor, singer or athlete?
Mambo for sure J-Lo! Rico: Sofia Vergara. They probably wouldn't be able to guess for me, I tell them all the time I look at women so much more than I do men! Paul Walker was my only celebrity crush, RIP.
If you had to eat one type of meal everyday for a month, what would it be? (Mexican, Italian..etc)
American (I'm obsessed with grilled cheeses).
You are a Southern California woman. Where other than Southern California could you see yourself enjoying as a place to live and work?
It would be so hard for me to leave So-Cal! I could definitely see myself open to trying New York one day, if the right opportunity came along!