10 Questions with ... Rico
June 7, 2016
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
Once upon a time, long, long ago, in '89 (as in "19" 89) I got my first gig at KMYX/Oxnard-Ventura. Eventually the "CHUrban" format would change to Country and I wasn't ready to wear boots at that time. Shortly there after, I worked for KKUR (AC), then I did a stint at some station in Palmdale/Lancaster...I think it was "Hot" something. I was drinking a lot at the time. Came to KCAQ...took off to Vegas for Hot 97.5 (KVEG). Came back to KCAQ only to bounce once again with Mambo to help create and work at "103.3 The Vibe". I'm almost done! Hang in there! Then the "Vibe" decided to go into a "Different Direction" (how many times have we all heard that?), we were cut and unemployed for about a year and three months and now I'm back at KCAQ/KQIE!
In closing and from the bottom of my heart, I really want to thank Brian 'Big Bear' Davis for the constant coaching and guidance. You're a super being, Bear! Also, no matter what I say about Daniel 'Mambo' Herrejon, I'm forever in debt to you. You're like a little brother to me and I hope nothing ever happens to you because then I'd have to leave radio and I'd be shit out of a job.
1. After so many years of doing mornings, can you and do you sleep in on weekends?
I'm usually up by 7 a.m. or so...It gives me "Me" time from my family
2. What's the show's favorite social media app?
Snapchat! All the evidence disappears quickly!
3. How would your show change if you and Mambo's wives were the co-hosts of the show?
I'd have to tell the truth. :-(
4. What position do you play on the KCAQ/Gold Coast Broadcasting softball team? Who is the best player on the team?
I'm the Ball boy! Coach Brian Davis is the best on the team ONLY because I want a raise! (Balls anyone?)
5. Is it true that you are the most famous person from your high school, not in the state penal system?
The only reason why I'm "Famous" is because, the town I grew up is has now "EXPLODED" to a population of 15k! My graduating class consisted of 10 people. So to many, I'm a success! Kind of sad.
6. Who is the better dancer, you, Mambo or Katherine? What's your favorite move?
We're all great in our own way:
- Mambo "Makes It Clap"
- Katherine "Carlton Dance"
- I "Drop It Low"
7. If you hadn't chosen to pursue a career in radio, what do you think you'd be doing now?
I'd be a CPA! Boring I know, but it's what I wanted to do!
8. To the best of your knowledge, were there any hook-ups on this year's Rico & Mambo party cruise to Mexico?
I know of two randoms that hooked up...we should find out over the next couple of months what REALLY happened if they didn't play it safe!
9. How many baseball caps to you own?...10-20, 20-30 or more than that? Is there one that your wife has threatened to burn or begs you to throw out?
I have over 30 now. My wife keeps threatening to throw away a Karl Strauss (Beer) hat that is EXTREMELY dirty, but it's my hat for doing yard work!
10. Someone recently said to me, "The first things we ask is, 'Is it worth it?'" What's the first thing you and Mambo do or say when looking back on a break or bit?
"Shit! How did we pull that one off?"
Suddenly you can only get one channel or network on your TV. Which would you choose?
Let me see..Spice...Skin-A-Max...Playboy...Hmmmmm. I'm gonna have to say The TVOne Network. Their "Unsung" specials are the best.
What's your wife's dream vacation spot?
Vacation? Who has time for that? But IF we had time for vacation, she'd want to go to Jamaica. I don't really care to go there, because that's where my ex-wife and I went on our honeymoon. Thanks for bringing up old shit Pete! :-(