10 Questions with ... J. Reed
September 6, 2016
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- 1998 Overnights KHTN/Modesto-Merced
- 2000 Nights KISV/Bakersfield
- 2005 MD KISV/Bakersfield
- 2007 PD KISV/Bakersfield
- 2009 PD KISV-KKXX/Bakersfield
1. What got you into radio?
Winning my first CD during some type of contest Mark Medina was doing on KHTN/Merced-Modesto back in high school in the 90's. I think it was "Ghetto Jam" from Domino. After that, my best friend later getting a job on the station...they needed part timers and it was a wrap!
2. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
When I was growing up...wanted to be a ball player. Just like Lawrence Taylor, but not a "coke inhaler". Either that or Tom Cruise in Top Gun!
3. If you left radio and dove into a rap career what would your stage name be?
I would have to stick to the one that I got! I was J. Reed before Shawn Carter was Jay-Z!!!
4. What's the biggest lesson that you think you've learned as a PD?
I learned that PD does not stand for Positioned Differently. Yes, you have to make decisions that most don't, but never try to forget that you were in the same spot at one time as the people that work with you. Respect is the biggest lesson!
5. What would probably surprise most people about Bakersfield?
It really doesn't smell like cows! Bakersfield is one of the fastest growing cities in California. At times it does feel like a melting pot, where you can experience a wide range of people, cultures and experiences. And if none of that floats your boat! We are pretty close to the beach, the mountains, and the Kardashians out in LA!
6. If you weren't in radio, what do you think you'd be doing professionally?
I used to think about that a lot. Before I moved here, I would work with kids in group homes so maybe something to help at risk children I would be good at.
7. How does your wife, Rhonda help you as a PD?
She has the biggest role when it comes to me being a PD! Her job is to remind me that my stations are a 24 hour a day, 365 a year thing....but so is our family! And that I have to work just as hard for us as I do to make my stations the best that they can be!
8. If you got a 4-chair turnaround on The Voice, who would you pick to be your coach?
It would be Pharrell, no question! I've been a fan of him since Kelis' "Kaleidoscope" album back in 1999. And I would find out how this guy does not age! The guy is like 74 years old!
9. In your eyes/ears who is the next big star in Hip Hop?
Keep an eye/ear out for Chance The Rapper, Skepta from the UK, Domo Genesis, and Raven Felix.
10. If you had to eat one type of meal everyday for a month, what would it be?
Well, for just over a month now I have become a Vegetarian..(loosely), so if I had a cheat month....it would be Italian Garlic Supreme Pizzas from Round Table Pizza. I miss you!
A hypothetical. You're chosen to be on The Amazing Race but you have to pick a partner. Your partner has to be a record company promotion rep. Who would you chose?
I'm going to say Noah Sheer! He can talk his way out of any situation!