10 Questions with ... Chio
January 11, 2011
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
KKLQ/San Diego, WHTZ/New York, WIOQ/Philadelphia, KPTY/Phoenix, KKLQ /San Diego (2nd time), KHTS/San Diego, XHRM/San Diego, WIOQ/Philadelphia (2nd time) and WRDW/Philadelphia since 2006.
1. Why Radio?
Initially, I started dj'ing high school dances/skating rinks. I loved making the announcements, talking, etc. That's when I started thinking about it. I couldn't mix songs to save my life and I used talking to get over.
2. Looking back on your career, is their one particular gig that you passed on that you wish you would have applied for or taken?
3. What's the single biggest thing that you feel you bring to the morning team and show?
I'm easy to get along with. That benefits the team internally. As far as the show, my realness. I'm the every day average guy. People know who I am, they know what I'm about.
4. You're now a Philly fixture after several years at Wired and a few across town at WIOQ before that. Do you remember the point that you felt accepted by the city?
When I was doing nights at WIOQ form '95-'97 and at one point during that run I was at a night club every night of the week. Yep, seven days a week, I was hanging with the people. It's like when you're in a relationship. You know it, you feel it.
5. After 57 years of radio, who has been your favorite interview?
You know...the one that you wish every guest was like. Tom Cruise at the peak of his career. No question was off limits. We vibed.
6. So...on the Wired staff, who would you want with you in a bar fight?
I'm going with JC, the late night dude, He's huge....He's as big as any offensive/defensive lineman on the Eagles. Just massive and tall, too!
7. I know that you personally have helped up & coming personalities in their development. Who stands out as helping you get started?
Jerry Rogers, Brady McGraw, JoJo "Cooking" Kincaid, Kevin Weatherly and Gary Wall. Weatherly and Wall gave me my first major market break at KKLQ In San Diego.
8. Can you take Joey B in an arm-wrestling match? What makes Joey B so special to Chio In The Morning?
Joey might beat me in arm wrestling, Ii'm a weakling. Joey B is a great in studio director,and he get's it. He's a great content provider, just always finding good stuff to talk about. He's aware of everything going on in the world, from Justin Beiber to politics, sports, etc. I think we will be together for awhile. Where ever my career takes me, he's coming along!
9. Over the course of many years has there ever been an artist, actress or guest that walked into your studio and just floored you or surprised you with how damn hot she was? Anyone have hella morning breath?
OMG! Rachel Hunter was the hottest woman I have ever seen in person.. Early 2000's. Just amazing! As far as bad breath, Bam Margera (from Jackass) was hammered. He reeked of alcohol but he was funny as hell.
10. If you were to leave Radio today and you could choose any other occupation, what would it be?
I have no idea what I would do. Outside from working during high school, I never had a real job. I got into radio right out of high school. I know this, I would want to be my own boss. I would love to control my own destiny.
How's your new morning teamer working out?
Shila is awesome! She's going to help take the show to the next level.
What's the funniest thing you've ever heard on the radio?
Tough question. I have heard a lot of funny stuff. Mancow ripping his old PD on his show. I was rolling. I totally related to it.