10 Questions with ... Rob Goldklang
February 19, 2013
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
Retail/radio/college rep/WB -- and always a fan of music.
1. What stands out the most from when you started at Warner Bros. Records?
The fact that one thing has remained the same: the power of radio and a hit song. Radio to me is still the most important aspect when launching a band.
2. What do you like best about your job? Least?
Best: Being able to change people's lives with the power of music.
Least: Finances. I was never too good at math.
3. What are you most proud of from 2012?
So many things but no doubt the 40 week grind of Atlas Genius will always be a career highlight. To believe in a song so much and see it connect is such a great feeling. Also was great to see bands like Muse and The Black Keys continue to be massive staples at radio and unstoppable!!
4. What's on tap for WB in 2013?
So much great music. Wavves, The Rubens, Biffy Clyro, Dale Earnheart Jr. Jr., Surfer Blood, and much more!
5. What do you remember most about working your first record Soul Coughing - Super Bon Bon back in 1995?
Just feeling so ahead of the curve with a band that lived off creativity. Also lots of fun on the road!
6. What is most important to you when working a song to alternative radio today?
Strong belief and being able to continue to build a story.
7. Where do you get your greatest pleasure in doing record promotion?
I love the aspect of teamwork and coming up with new and creative ideas to make our music stand out.
8. What is your favorite market to visit and why?
So many but I love the energy of New York, the vibe of San Francisco, and how can I not mention Vegas.
9. Fill in the blank: I can't make it through the day without _________?
10. What would surprise people most about you?
There is a board in the hallway that lists all the crazy situations/injuries that I have had throughout the years.
What are your hobbies?
Music, hanging with family, and ping pong.
First record ever purchased?
Men At Work
Favorite band of all-time?