10 Questions with ... Brien Terranova
January 6, 2015
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- Interned at Virgin in 1995.
- Hired as Michael Plen's assistant a few months later.
- 2000 - West Coast radio rep for Astralwerks.
- 2001 - Seattle local for Virgin.
- 2002 - Moved to LA to cover radio for Virgin/Capitol.
1. After 19+ years in the Capitol Tower, what made you decide to leave to join Beggars Group?
To think that I have spent half my life at one place, this wasn't an easy decision at all. The Promo staff at Capitol is family. So many great personalities. I have been lucky to learn from such great people. I think in the end the chance to do some different things then what I was doing at Capitol was enticing to me. I have been amazed by what Risa (Matsuki) has been able to do at Beggars.
2. What are you most proud of from all your years at Capitol?
If I had to say one thing I would say 30 Seconds To Mars. To say this was not an easy sell at first, would be a huge understatement. Watching the band grow and having them headline radio shows has been a great thing to be part of. The work Bill (Carroll) and Howard (Petruziello) put into this band has been remarkable.
3. How would you describe yourself as a record promotion exec?
I would like to think that words like Follow Thru, Honesty, and Transparency would come up.
4. Where do you get your greatest pleasure in doing record promotion?
Turning people on to music is amazing. I feel so blessed to see live music as much as I do.
5. What may surprise people the most to learn about Beggars Group?
I am still getting my feet wet there so I still am learning. While I would not say it's surprising and it's amazing the passion for music everyone has here.
6. You mentioned recently at a dinner that Beggars Group is home to one of your favorite bands. What's it like for you working the new Belle And Sebastian record?
True story. The day I took the job I got to see Belle and Sebastian play live. They are just a great fun live band. I think they grow on every record and branch out a little more each time. If you're feeling sinister will always have a special place in my heart.
7. What is the toughest part of your job?
Our clients at radio are all being asked to do so much. Music might not always be the most important thing they have to do on any given day.
8. What's on tap for Beggars Group in 2015?
New music from Belle and Sebastian, Purity Ring, Houndmouth, Palma Violets, Tanlines, and Grimes.
9. What would surprise people the most about you?
I would think people might be surprised that I am a P1 country listener.
10. Fill in the blank: I can't make it through the day without _______?
Is it cheesy to say music? Music is my soul. I could go the rest of my life without TV, Books or Movies but would not get through a day without music.
What are your hobbies?
Music, UCLA Football. Starting to cook a bit more as well.
You're a season ticket holder to UCLA Bruins Football with Warren Christensen. Where are your seats and what's it like going to a Bruins game with you and Warren?
Anyone who has met Warren knows that when he does something he does it right. Tailgating is no exception. Tailgating at The Rose Bowl is great. Gorgeous scenery. You are on a golf course so you are on grass. Tailgating is top notch great food and great wine. Our seats are on the 45 yard line under the press box. This is great on afternoon games as it shades us from the sun. We are loud. Cannot think of a better way to spend a day. Very thankful to have someone like Warren to go to UCLA games with. Would not be right if I did not thank Jayn from Alice in SF who was responsible for getting Warren and I together for UCLA games.
Last non-industry job?
I worked for a nonprofit health center. I was a case manager for people with HIV. I was the youngest person in the state of California to get certified to do HIV testing and counseling.
First record ever purchased?
I bought a 45 of Pop Muzik by M. The first cassette was Heartbreak Station by Cinderella.
Garth Brooks at The Forum in 1994
What was the best concert you saw in 2014?
Shelby Lynne at Largo in LA. Amazing.
Favorite band of all-time?
Favorite band of 2014?