10 Questions with ... Al Brock
January 20, 2013
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
40 years in radio. 30 in programming. Multiple formats, worked in markets including Nashville, St.Louis, Richmond, Providence, Indianapolis, Rochester NY, Harrisburg PA, Wilkes Barre/Scranton, Denver Co, Tampa Fla, and others. Last radio job was as PD at WIOV in Lancaster, Reading PA
1) Can you give us a snapshot of what Spin Doctors music is and your role in the music industry?
The Spin Doctors Music Group is a full service secondary radio promotion and artrist management/development company, serving primarily secondary radio.
2) When did you decide to launch the company and what void did you see that the company would fill?
I launched the company in Jan 2010 after leaving radio in the summer of 2009.
3) What is your role with the company?
I am the President and CEO.
4) How many staffers do you have:
5) How can Spin Doctors help an independent artist?
We offer various things to help them, such as artist development through our sister company, "Next Generation Artist Management", we also offer media training, promotion to secondary radio, publicity, and more.
6) With playlists at major stations so tight, where can you get an artist started these days in radio?
It is our belief that the best place to start a new artist is on the Music Row and secondary panels. The PD's have more freedom and have time to help us develop new and emerging artists.
7) What other outlets do you use to launch an artist these days, such as social media?
Social media is HUGE, we also plan and schedule radio tours, and partner with stations on events that make sense for them and us, and we aggressively get them as much exposure as possible.
8) What new artists have caught your ear these days?
We think we have a few rising stars, with a few artists. We are having lots of secondary radio success with our 15 year old artist, Stephanie Grace, who writes and sounds well beyond her age, and a yankee redneck named John Karl, who brings a bright new sound to the format, and of course, Brinn Black, who has an amazing voice, and a very healthy touring schedule, opening for many big artists. Her debut single was released earlier this year and is still climbing the charts.
9) Do you miss working in radio? You were at it a long time!
Sometimes I miss it, but I am so focused on building my new company, I don't have time to miss it as much as I thought I would.
10) What big plans do you have for Spin Doctors in 2013?
We'll be delving into some new areas next year, and continuing to develop our artists, and work with radio on our new artists etc. I am personally working on something which will be big for RADIO next year, and hope to announce that venture sometime before next summer.
1) What do you love about living in Nashville so far?
I love the vibe of this city, great restaurants, clubs, sports, pretty much anything you can get in a bigger city. Love the people and the music on almost every corner in this town.
2) Do you miss the snowy winters of Upstate New York?
Not at all!!
3) Have you seen the TV series 'Nashville' yet, and if so what's your review?
It is growing on me. We have watched every episode so far, thanks to our DVR. I love our city being on TV every week.