Instagram: Powerful Targeting, Impressive Response Rates
November 30, 2015
Instagram has been climbing the ladder of relevance and popularity among radio listeners, especially that small subset predisposed to accept a PPM or a diary. While the digerati have been crowing about SnapChat and Vine and other portals gathering usage among younger consumers, our studies have shown that Instagram is the platform to watch. And now, NuVoodoo is able to include Instagram in station marketing programs.
Our most-recent NuVoodoo Ratings Prospect Study showed Instagram surpassing Twitter to become the third-ranked social media portal, gathering strong weekly usage among younger-targeted formats.
We’ve already added Instagram to our existing matrix with Facebook and YouTube, thus creating the holy trinity of ratings weapons for our clients. Instagram allows the same precise interest-based targeting specificity offered by Facebook, making it a potent weapon for our client stations. Our Urban, Rhythmic CHR, Country and CHR clients have seen especially impressive response rates.
Instagram is a powerful mobile platform for radio station advertisers, with ad formats from photo and video ads to carousel ads that allow stations to tell a deeper story about their promotion or attention-getting stunt and provide links to station sites for listeners to learn more.
- Make sure your organic station Instagram posts follow our best practices. Here are some idea starters:
- Create and maintain a consistent theme for your content. It’s all about the listener, not your station.
- Photos about experiences listeners have with your station (backstage with artists, spending prize money or interacting with station personalities) will be remarkably viral and lead to more followers.
- Engage with your followers: comment, follow back, like their content. Be human. Don’t broadcast.
- Tell an interesting story through your images and captions: photos of people cueing up for your festival, going crazy for each act, leaving the venue happy and satisfied.
- Take lots of photos when you are out on the streets and make them aesthetically pleasing and creative.
- Spread out posts like you would any other network. Post at least once or twice a day. Be consistent.
- Throw a creative #hashtag contest to get interaction going and amplify it across your already-established social networks
- And, if you must roll-out an advertiser photo, give it a human touch by making it creative, funny or truly valuable to your followers/listeners.