10 Questions with ... Maggie Brennan
April 30, 2012
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- 1994 - WCBE Internship via Ohio State University
- 1995 - Weekend Board Op
- 1996 - Sunday night host of "Roots N' Offshoots" - (I program and I still host)
- 1997 - Sub host for Weekday music shows
- 2001 - Appointed Music Director
1. How did you become interested in radio?
I was a student at OSU and applied for an internship at WCBE. Fell in love with everything that WCBE had to offer! And a whole new world of music that was out there that I never new existed! My first on-air experience was doing a live-events calendar and as exciting as it was to be on real live radio for the first time, I thought I was going to throw up -- from then on I knew that I wanted to do this for the rest of my life!
2. What is the balance between new and music at WCBE?
80/20 new/older. We are also the NPR news outlet for Central Ohio.
3. How would you describe the music on the station?
Is there a word more eclectic than eclectic? It is important to note that the station has been on the air for 55 years!
4. What new bands are you most excited about?
JD McPherson, Zeus, Alabama Shakes, Audra Mae & The Almighty Sound
5. What do you like best about your job?
Keeping it LOCAL! And being connected to our community! And playing what we want to play!
6. What has been your biggest career highlight?
Last week Zakir Hussain did a live radio session - that one is pretty up there!
7. What stations do you like to keep track of?
It is hard enough to keep track of my own, but I do respect so many other stations in our format!
8. What do you view as the most important issue facing public radio today?
Lack of funding
9. Where do you see yourself in five years?
I am staying right here. I don't plan on going anywhere!
10. Fill in the blank: I can't make it through the day without ...
... talking to my Dad "Stretch"!
Last non-industry job:
Pizza slinger at "Maggie Pies"
First record ever purchased:
2 45s: Cyndi Lauper "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" and Eurythmics "Here Comes The Rain"
Bryan Adams - Summer Of 69' Tour
Favorite band of all-time:
The Beatles or Elvis
What do you enjoy doing in your spare time away from work?
Spending time with family and watching OSU sports and Reds baseball! And fun in the sun!