10 Questions with ... Karen Durkot
February 10, 2014
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- Elektra - New England
- Geffen - New England
- American Recordings - Northeast
- V2 Records - East Coast
- CO5 Country - Northeast
- ADA - Dir./Triple A/NonComm
- Concord Music Group - VP/Promo
1. What got you interested in the record business?
I couldn't be a civilian.
2. What was your favorite station to listen to when you were a kid?
3. Where do you get your greatest pleasure in doing record promotion?
Breaking new artists.
4. What was the first record you worked to radio and what has been the biggest change since you first began doing radio promotion?
Dokken "Alone Again" and the biggest change is cell phones!
5. Tell us about your move over to Concord Music Group.
Who can refuse Jill Weindorf?
6. Who do you see as the next breakthrough artist for the label?
7. Tell us about some of your upcoming projects with Concord.
Elbow will break in the U.S. Carlene Carter will enlighten listeners with the glory of her family's musical heritage. JD McPherson will mess us up.
8. What do you view as the most important issue facing radio today?
Engaging new listeners.
9. What would surprise people most about you?
I stopped swearing?
10. If you were to leave the record business today and you could choose any other occupation, what would it be?
Traveling and writing about it.
Last non-industry job:
First record ever purchased:
Kinks "You Really Got Me"
Dave Clark Five
Favorite band of all-time:
What do you enjoy doing in your spare time away from work?